Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1295 views

Post 6.5 sp6 patchs

I am installing a new Netware 6.5 sp6 server into my tree, the other two
servers in my tree are Netware 6.6 sp3. The new server will replace my
older fileprintZen server.

I have read that Nw65sp6- known issues page:
http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/Nw65sp6#Post_SP6_known_issues

Is this page the latest and greatest of everything I need to patch? Also
should I just apply every patch on the known issues page just to be safe?
Right now the server is running with out issues, but also with out any
load.

Thanks
Phil J

Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Post 6.5 sp6 patchs

> I have read that Nw65sp6- known issues page:
> http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/Nw65sp6#Post_SP6_known_issues
>
> Is this page the latest and greatest of everything I need to patch?


It is as good a compendium of the current updates as can be found --
and it does get updated fairly often to keep it current.


> should I just apply every patch on the known issues page just to be safe?
> Right now the server is running with out issues, but also with out any
> load.
>


The list there includes basically 'might/should help, won't hurt'
updates -- So I'd say go for it.


--
Barry Schnur
Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Post 6.5 sp6 patchs

"Barry Schnur" <BSchnur@cox.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.2097e331d361741b98dea9@support-forums.novell.com...
>> I have read that Nw65sp6- known issues page:
>> http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/Nw65sp6#Post_SP6_known_issues
>>
>> Is this page the latest and greatest of everything I need to patch?

>
> It is as good a compendium of the current updates as can be found --
> and it does get updated fairly often to keep it current.
>
>
>> should I just apply every patch on the known issues page just to be safe?
>> Right now the server is running with out issues, but also with out any
>> load.
>>

>
> The list there includes basically 'might/should help, won't hurt'
> updates -- So I'd say go for it.


A loaded question, perhaps, but I have a very stable, 4-server environment
running NW65 + SP5 + UPD1 + a couple of other odds and ends, e.g., a newer
NSS. 2 of my 4 boxes run BorderManager.

Would you (anyone) bother to upgrade to SP6 + all the wiki-recommended stuff
at this time?

Or maybe just track down the latest edir and maybe nss and leave it at that?

TIA.

-S-

>
>
> --
> Barry Schnur
> Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Post 6.5 sp6 patchs

> A loaded question, perhaps, but I have a very stable, 4-server environment
> running NW65 + SP5 + UPD1 + a couple of other odds and ends, e.g., a newer
> NSS. 2 of my 4 boxes run BorderManager.
>
> Would you (anyone) bother to upgrade to SP6 + all the wiki-recommended stuff
> at this time?
>

For me, I leave well enough alone (and have the same combination you
are running on the home server).


--
Barry Schnur
Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Post 6.5 sp6 patchs

"Barry Schnur" <BSchnur@cox.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.20981feee68bcd0098deaf@support-forums.novell.com...
>> A loaded question, perhaps, but I have a very stable, 4-server
>> environment
>> running NW65 + SP5 + UPD1 + a couple of other odds and ends, e.g., a
>> newer
>> NSS. 2 of my 4 boxes run BorderManager.
>>
>> Would you (anyone) bother to upgrade to SP6 + all the
>> wiki-recommended stuff
>> at this time?
>>

> For me, I leave well enough alone (and have the same combination you
> are running on the home server).


I just asked, on the BM install forum, about the minimum OS level for BM
3.9, which is supposed to be released very soon (next week or so, I
think). Craig said it'll be SP6, so I guess I'm going to get to do that
SP6 upgrade after all. 🙂

-S-


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Post 6.5 sp6 patchs

> I just asked, on the BM install forum, about the minimum OS level for BM
> 3.9, which is supposed to be released very soon (next week or so, I
> think). Craig said it'll be SP6, so I guess I'm going to get to do that
> SP6 upgrade after all. 🙂


At least on the 3.9 system...


--
Barry Schnur
Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Post 6.5 sp6 patchs

"Barry Schnur" <BSchnur@cox.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.2099455aa8425fea98deb9@support-forums.novell.com...
>> I just asked, on the BM install forum, about the minimum OS level for
>> BM
>> 3.9, which is supposed to be released very soon (next week or so, I
>> think). Craig said it'll be SP6, so I guess I'm going to get to do
>> that
>> SP6 upgrade after all. 🙂

>
> At least on the 3.9 system...


Yes. We have 2 BM servers and what Craig has dubbed a "poor man's
cluster" - when one fails, I load the secondary IP addresses on the
other one, add the gateway IP in nwadmn, and that's how we switch. His
suggestion was to try SP6 and then BM 39 on just one of my two BM
servers, and I think that's what I'll do.

-S-

>
> --
> Barry Schnur
> Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Post 6.5 sp6 patchs

> Yes. We have 2 BM servers and what Craig has dubbed a "poor man's
> cluster" - when one fails, I load the secondary IP addresses on the
> other one, add the gateway IP in nwadmn, and that's how we switch. His
> suggestion was to try SP6 and then BM 39 on just one of my two BM
> servers, and I think that's what I'll do.


There you go -- certainly -- but two BorderManager servers -- working
in tandem??


--
Barry Schnur
Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Post 6.5 sp6 patchs

"Barry Schnur" <BSchnur@cox.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.2099b2c4c61b96aa98dec5@support-forums.novell.com...
>> Yes. We have 2 BM servers and what Craig has dubbed a "poor man's
>> cluster" - when one fails, I load the secondary IP addresses on the
>> other one, add the gateway IP in nwadmn, and that's how we switch.
>> His
>> suggestion was to try SP6 and then BM 39 on just one of my two BM
>> servers, and I think that's what I'll do.

>
> There you go -- certainly -- but two BorderManager servers -- working
> in tandem??


No, not in tandem. We typically keep a C2S VPN going on both of them -
nice redundancy, e.g., today the one everyone was using crashed
(hardware failure, I'm pretty sure, been waiting for it to happen), so I
was able to get in on the other box. Saved a site visit for sure. I
usually also keep the proxy loaded on both.

Craig had a great way of handling the addition of a new/second BM server
to the environment. The old private side address was x.x.x.1. What we
did was set up the new box as x.x.x.5 and added a secondary IP at
x.x.x.1, which means we had zero reconfiguration of workstations to do.
We did a fresh reinstall of Netware on the old box, set it up as
x.x.x.6. If I need to switch, all I really need is a single ADD
SECONDARY IPADDRESS x.x.x.1 to whichever box I want the users to use,
then that becomes their gateway, proxy server, etc.

Tastes great _and_ is less filling. 🙂

Eventually, the plan is to cluster them, which Craig tells me can
auto-failover - you put a third NIC in each and the "backup" listens to
the main box and, if the main box stops responding, it does whatever you
tell it, which in our case would basically just be to add the secondary,
and then it takes over.

-S-

>
> --
> Barry Schnur
> Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Post 6.5 sp6 patchs

Sweet -- thanks for the detail.



--
Barry Schnur
Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.