Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2076 views

Preparing Hard Drive stuck at 100% for many days now...

Installing OES2 SP3 on HP ML350 Proliant Server

At Preparing Hard Drive stage. Formatted a large drive array and it is finished at 100% But it has been stuck at 100% for four days now... I hate to start over and re-format again (for it took a long time)... What should I do? I am very patient, but this is getting ridiculous...
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Preparing Hard Drive stuck at 100% for many days now...

What size is the array/LUN - This is not like NTFS and the formatting
will take hours, I would expect this to take seconds or maybe mins...

Remember that for OES, you want the array to present 2 drives
(minimum) - one for the OES and one for NSS. The OS LUN would only be
30 -40 GB and the rest NSS. The formatting of 40GB should be 90secs.
With NSS you initialize the disk and then you will never see the
formatting...

?

T

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 19:16:02 GMT, evandeve01
<evandeve01@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
>Installing OES2 SP3 on HP ML350 Proliant Server
>
>At Preparing Hard Drive stage. Formatted a large drive array and it is
>finished at 100% But it has been stuck at 100% for four days now... I
>hate to start over and re-format again (for it took a long time)...
>What should I do? I am very patient, but this is getting ridiculous...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Preparing Hard Drive stuck at 100% for many days now...

The drive array is 7.43 TB (8TB RAID-5). The server is maxed on the RAM 25 GB, and there are two 2.4 processors. Both HP and Novell stated the HP ML350 G6 Proliant is compatible with OES 2, so I am trusting their word. Also, I am installing OES-L within NOWS SBE, aka SUSE LES 10... I am simple following the Install Disk's directions for setting up a server...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Preparing Hard Drive stuck at 100% for many days now...

So I should only just create one partition "p1" during the install, and just leave the rest hanging until I install NSS during the later stages of the install?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Preparing Hard Drive stuck at 100% for many days now...

Correct.

On the NSS Sdie:
To create up to an 8TB volume with NSS you will need to create
multiple 2TB partitions in the pool, so that you can create the 8TB
volume. This is one area that OES11 will fix when released (soon)

So, the RAID should be sda of say 40GB and sdb of 7.3TB The OS will
use sda and then you install NSS on sdb.

Do not create just a single sda and expect that to be usable for the
OS and NSS (again OES11 fixes this too)

T

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 22:36:02 GMT, evandeve01
<evandeve01@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>
>So I should only just create one partition "p1" during the install, and
>just leave the rest hanging until I install NSS during the later stages
>of the install?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Preparing Hard Drive stuck at 100% for many days now...

On 22.11.2011 23:26, evandeve01 wrote:
>
> The drive array is 7.43 TB (8TB RAID-5). The server is maxed on the RAM
> 25 GB, and there are two 2.4 processors. Both HP and Novell stated the
> HP ML350 G6 Proliant is compatible with OES 2, so I am trusting their
> word.
>
>


Remember there could be a Problem with a 2TB Limit per LUN/virtual Disk
also.

Regards
Thomas



0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Preparing Hard Drive stuck at 100% for many days now...

On 23.11.2011 18:13, Tim Heywood (NKP) wrote:
> Correct.
>
> On the NSS Sdie:
> To create up to an 8TB volume with NSS you will need to create
> multiple 2TB partitions in the pool, so that you can create the 8TB
> volume. This is one area that OES11 will fix when released (soon)
>
> So, the RAID should be sda of say 40GB and sdb of 7.3TB The OS will
> use sda and then you install NSS on sdb.


Nope. NSS in OES2 has a *device* size limit of 2TB, not a partition size
limit (although of course, the device limit effectively also limits the
max. partition size).

That said, your suggestion would fail miserably. What is needed here is:

SDA (linux)

SDB (max. 2TB for NSS)

SDC (max. 2TB for NSS)

SDD (max. 2TB for NSS)

SDE (max. 2TB for NSS)

These 4 devices then *can* be all put into one NSS pool and one volume,
if wanted.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Preparing Hard Drive stuck at 100% for many days now...

woops - indeed...

T

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 18:18:18 GMT, Massimo Rosen
<mrosenNO@SPAMcfc-it.de> wrote:

>On 23.11.2011 18:13, Tim Heywood (NKP) wrote:
>> Correct.
>>
>> On the NSS Sdie:
>> To create up to an 8TB volume with NSS you will need to create
>> multiple 2TB partitions in the pool, so that you can create the 8TB
>> volume. This is one area that OES11 will fix when released (soon)
>>
>> So, the RAID should be sda of say 40GB and sdb of 7.3TB The OS will
>> use sda and then you install NSS on sdb.

>
>Nope. NSS in OES2 has a *device* size limit of 2TB, not a partition size
>limit (although of course, the device limit effectively also limits the
>max. partition size).
>
>That said, your suggestion would fail miserably. What is needed here is:
>
>SDA (linux)
>
>SDB (max. 2TB for NSS)
>
>SDC (max. 2TB for NSS)
>
>SDD (max. 2TB for NSS)
>
>SDE (max. 2TB for NSS)
>
>These 4 devices then *can* be all put into one NSS pool and one volume,
>if wanted.
>
>CU,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Preparing Hard Drive stuck at 100% for many days now...

Thanks! I got by the formatting the boot partition problem (I took your advice of doing the 70 GB partition size), and will deal with the 4 x 2 TB problem when I get there. But now I am having a problem with the GRUB/CCISS boot loader error during installation... Posted a new thread for this new problem for the technical documents (7005934 & 7001376) are very vague or not solving the problem... ARGH! For example, it would be great to fix it with the prescribed maintenance update but one needs to find it first, and know how to install during the installation process...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.