Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1253 views

Printing Problems after IP Address Change

I recently changed the IP addresses on two NetWare servers. One server is
running NW5.1, the other is running NW6. After the change, printing for
most people that connect to the NW6 server stopped working. Printing for
users connecting to the NW5.1 server was not affected at all. We run
queue based printing, not NDPS.

Ultimately, I had to login at the affected PCs (running XP) as NW
Administrator and printing started working again. I don't understatnd why
this happened. Any ideas? I like to know if I did something wrong.
Thanks.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Printing Problems after IP Address Change

Changing IP address in NW 6.0 is a nightmare and best avoided if
possible in the future; 6.5 is much easier.

Go through every item in TID 10067853, you'll find it was not changed
somewhere.
--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://support.novell.com/forums
(Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Printing Problems after IP Address Change

I did review that TID. Also, I changed the IP address of that same server
about two years ago with no problems. The only different between then and
now is that we were running NT workstations, now we're running XP
workstations.

Thanks.

> Changing IP address in NW 6.0 is a nightmare and best avoided if
> possible in the future; 6.5 is much easier.
>
> Go through every item in TID 10067853, you'll find it was not changed
> somewhere.
> --
> Andrew C Taubman
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
> http://support.novell.com/forums
> (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)
>
> Opinions expressed above are not
> necessarily those of Novell Inc.


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Printing Problems after IP Address Change

eberrocal@cityofevanston.org wrote:

> I recently changed the IP addresses on two NetWare servers. One
> server is running NW5.1, the other is running NW6. After the change,
> printing for most people that connect to the NW6 server stopped
> working. Printing for users connecting to the NW5.1 server was not
> affected at all. We run queue based printing, not NDPS.
>
> Ultimately, I had to login at the affected PCs (running XP) as NW
> Administrator and printing started working again. I don't
> understatnd why this happened. Any ideas? I like to know if I did
> something wrong. Thanks.


Can you see the printers logging in to the server ?

--
Cheers,
Edward
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Printing Problems after IP Address Change

Yes, I could see the printers logged in. Very strange indeed. I was
kinda' hoping someone else had seen this problem too. Although all is
working well now, I'd like to know the cause so it doesn't happen again.
Thanks!

> eberrocal@cityofevanston.org wrote:
>
> > I recently changed the IP addresses on two NetWare servers. One
> > server is running NW5.1, the other is running NW6. After the change,
> > printing for most people that connect to the NW6 server stopped
> > working. Printing for users connecting to the NW5.1 server was not
> > affected at all. We run queue based printing, not NDPS.
> >
> > Ultimately, I had to login at the affected PCs (running XP) as NW
> > Administrator and printing started working again. I don't
> > understatnd why this happened. Any ideas? I like to know if I did
> > something wrong. Thanks.

>
> Can you see the printers logging in to the server ?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Edward


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.