Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Problem finishing installation -- cont.

OK. I start the installation process, and almost immediately get the Retry eDirectory configuration dialog with Option 1 (reenter parameters from scratch), Option 2 (Cleanup the failed attempt and retry). If I understood previous messages, I now need to configure SLP on Netware....or should I go back and try option 4 which was to make this new server a DA.
Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
71 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Yes, that sounds like what you'll need to do

I THINK (it's been a while) on that error screen, you can click the "details" and it'll give SOME indication as to what's going on.

Usually some ubiquitous error code, in my experience.

I'd try #4.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well with this second thread, I now have the two of you replying in separate environments! Oh well. Anyway, I went back and chose Configure as DA and now it has the scope listed as DEFAULT. I don't know anything about scopes. Is this what I should accept, or should I specify a context? My setup is very simple. A top level OU=institution_name below which are departments (OU=biology, OU=chemistry, etc.). All my Netware server objects reside in the OU=institution_name container. Should I set the scope to something like OU=institution_name?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

The scope name can be anything you want, just as long as it's not "empty". DEFAULT will work, but I always like to give things meaningful names

Like ours is the treename_scope

The scope is just a "name" for this point (because maybe you have multiple trees in your environment, but there's a scope per tree).

If you want DEFAULT, that'll work, or you can take the name of your O=whatever and call the scope:
whatever_scope
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I start the install and again it fails with the following.
Error: ndsconfig failed to configure and start eDirectory

Clicking on the details button gives:
command: /opt/novell/eDirectory/bin/ndsconfig add -c -t 'treename' -n 'o=myorgname' -a 'cn=admin.o=myorgname'
-p netwareserverip:524 -d /var/opt/novell/eDirectory/data/lib -D /var/opt/novell/eDirectory
-B thisserverip@524 -L 389 -l 636 -o 8028 -O 8030 -e --config-file /etc/opt/novell/eDirectory/conf/nds.conf
/opt/novell/eDirectory/bin/ndsconfig: error while loading shared libraries: libsal.so.l: cannot open shared
object files: no such file or directory

Does this give a clue?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

rkatcher;2139648 wrote:
Well with this second thread, I now have the two of you replying in separate environments!

LOL, had not seen the thread... I'll tag on here.

Next to SLP, is the OES server configured to look at an internal DNS server that can at least forward lookup the NetWare servers as well as the new OES server by hostname aswell as hostname.dns-suffix?

-Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Next to SLP, is the OES server configured to look at an internal DNS server that can at least forward lookup the NetWare servers as well as the new OES server by hostname aswell as hostname.dns-suffix?

How do I tell? As far as I remember, the configuration page, before the install started, did not list our site DNS server anywhere. I don't see any option to enter it here on the eDirectory Configuration-NTP&SLP dialog.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

rkatcher;2139676 wrote:

How do I tell? As far as I remember, the configuration page, before the install started, did not list our site DNS server anywhere. I don't see any option to enter it here on the eDirectory Configuration-NTP&SLP dialog.

You could switch to one of the consoles on the OES server using <ALT>+<CTRL>+<F1> or <ALT>+<CTRL>+<F1>... if that gives you the option for a command line "cat /etc/resolv.conf" will dump the configured nameservers and search suffix.
If those settings are not correct or non existent you can try adding them using vi. Values should be something like;

search [search suffix]
nameserver [ip dns server1]
nameserver [ip dns server2]

You should then be able to at lease ping the NetWare servers by hostname.

-Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

magic31;2139694 wrote:
You could switch to one of the consoles on the OES server using <ALT>+<CTRL>+<F1> or <ALT>+<CTRL>+<F1>... if that gives you the option for a command line...

P.s. It's <ALT>+<CTRL>+<F7> or <ALT>+<CTRL>+<F8> to switch back to the installer GUI
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, that enabled me to look at the conf file. It has the correct dns information in it just as you indicated.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Progress! I went through the entire installation (up to this point) again and this time it worked. I will pick up from here in the morning.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

rkatcher;2139729 wrote:
Progress! I went through the entire installation (up to this point) again and this time it worked. I will pick up from here in the morning.

Awesome news!

Let us know if you need any further assistance.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.