Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Problem with Excel Spreadsheets Locking / Remaining in use

Hi there,

We are having issues with some Shared Excel Workbooks sitting on an NSS Volume.

User's are reporting the spreadsheets showing as Locked occasionally and slow to open. When I go into them myself I can see multiple user's still showing as having the workbook open from days ago, sometimes even multiple instances of the same username.

The Server is Running NW 6.5 SP 06
Clients are 4.91 SP4 All Windows XP

I've checked Adv Settings on the clients and File Caching is Disabled.

I've also noticed there are temporary files appearing in the same folder (ie DF2D0000) with no extension which seems to point to an issue with the workbook saving correctly.

To eliminate the workbooks I've created a new workbook and copied all worksheets across which hasn't solved anything.

Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions on how to further troubleshoot?

Many Thanks

Chris
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
ataubman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Problem with Excel Spreadsheets Locking / Remaining in u

Has this always happened, or only since what change or update?

Is there any anti-virus software involved? If the server is running open file backup software such as ofm.nlm, unload that.

On the server Load Monitor - Server Parameters - NCP. Set Level 2 OpLocks Enabled = Off, and Client File Caching Enabled = Off.

As a general measure you ought to update the server to SP8, apply the post-SP8 NSS patch, and update the client to SP5.

ISTR there are some Windows patches that might affect this behaviour too ...

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Problem with Excel Spreadsheets Locking / Remaining in u

Hello again,

Apologies for the delay, but we did solve this issue. For reference, we had pushed out a "Scan Network Directories" option within our AntiVirus software. This had been turned off but for some reason the Registry Keys associated had still not been changed on some PC's. The on access scan was slowing things down and causing the delays with opening and saving files.

Thanks

Chris
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.