Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
m_cisterni Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Problem with Netware 5.1 & Vista

Good morning.
I have a problem in connecting a PC with Windows Vista to a server running Netware 5.1 SB.

I have a relatively small network, with 1 server running Netware 5.1 SB, and some clients running WinXP (Client 4.91 SP4); the network uses only IPX, no IP; the clients are configured with IPX only.
Th problem started when I tried to connect a client running Windows Vista.
I installed Novell Client for Vista 2 SP1 on the PC. Then (since Vista does not support IPX anymore), I enabled IP on the server via INETCFG: PROTOCOL -> IP -> ENABLE, then BINDING -> (interface) -> IP address (e.g. 192.168.3.1), subnet mask.
Then rebooted everything & connected the PC with Vista. Result: no tree, no context, no server is visible on login. So of course I can't connect.

What did I forget?

I can ping or traceroute the server on 192.168.3.1 successfully from the PC.
I must configure an IP manually on the PC; I read somewhere that I should install DHCP on the server by myself, but I don't mind that - I just want to connect and all I have to do is to map the drives just like I ever did, from Win 98 to Win XP, with NetWare 5.1.

Thank you very much for your attention, I really hope someone can help me
M. Cisterni
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Problem with Netware 5.1 & Vista

M cisterni,
> Then rebooted everything & connected the PC with Vista. Result: no
> tree, no context, no server is visible on login. So of course I can't
> connect.

You donot need any of those to connect. Just use the server IP address
for server name. To be able to browse for tree/server, you need to
enable SLP.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
m_cisterni Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Problem with Netware 5.1 & Vista

AndersG;1967685 wrote:
M cisterni,
> Then rebooted everything & connected the PC with Vista. Result: no
> tree, no context, no server is visible on login. So of course I can't
> connect.

You donot need any of those to connect. Just use the server IP address
for server name. To be able to browse for tree/server, you need to
enable SLP.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

Dear Mr. Gustafsson

I just want to THANK YOU very much for your prompt and precious answer which solved the problem!
By the moment I had to disable the Firewall to make it work, but now I'm going to configure it correctly to allow communications to/from server.

Thank you again.

MC
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.