Highlighted
jwenn_slv Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Problems enabling CIFS on existing cluster NCP shares

Hi,

I've just installed Novell CIFS on our 2 node cluster so that some machines can access files without using the Netware client.

Unfortunately, I can't manage CIFS access on the cluster resource in iManager as the I get an error "The parameters to CIFS_SetServerConfiguration are not valid for this server type." when I go to File Protocols > CIFS > and then try and change any options for the resource. The CIFS virtual server name seems to be truncated.

I've verified access to the files by using the name of the node, where the resource is currently running. Using the IP address of the resource works for file access as well. Any attempt to use the cluster resource name fails.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Possibly relevant information:

OES 2 SP 3
Kernel version 2.6.16.60-0.77.1-default
Novell Cluster Services RPM version: 1.8.8.732
Novell CIFS RPM version: 1.2.0

Resource load script novcifs line
exit_on_error novcifs --add '--vserver=".cn=CLUSTERONE_DATA1_POOL_SERVER.ou=Servers.o=myorg.t=mytree."' --ip-addr=x.x.x.x
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Problems enabling CIFS on existing cluster NCP shares

Yes, this is a known problem I believe. TID #7007792.
Still not fixed.

The "workaround" is that if you need to change the virtual CIFS server name (it'll default to be the NSS POOL name with an _w and truncated if necessary) is to go into iMangler -> Directory administration -> Modify object, find the virtual server object, go into the "other" tab and edit the CIFS virtual server name attribute directly.

Also, if you cannot access it via name, but IP works,then I'd say one of two things:

1) You're using WINS and forgot to put the WINS server IP in the PHYSICAL CLUSTER NODE object in CIFS (not the virtual server object, but the physical one).
or
2) You're NOT using WINS And forgot to put a DNS entry in for the virtual server name (but if you're gonna change it anyway, perhaps you should do that first and THEN put a DNS entry for that new name).
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.