Highlighted
afiore Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Remote Manager Volume Inventory not working correctly

Good Afternoon,

When I am running a Volume Inventory in Remote Manager (SLES 10.2 / OES2 sp3), all I get under Users is "unknown ID = xxx". It does not show any users names. And it only shows a few names, maybe 3 or 4.

I still have a few Netware boxes running, and it work fine on them.

Does anyone know how to trouble shoot this ?

Thank you,

Tony
Labels (2)
0 Likes
25 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Remote Manager Volume Inventory not working correctly

Are you on the May 2011 maint. patch yet?

This was SUPPOSED to have been fixed in the April 2011 Maint. patch, but it didnt' make it in there. I THINK they told me it was supposed to be in the May 2011 patch instead.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

afiore;2116782 wrote:
Good Afternoon,

When I am running a Volume Inventory in Remote Manager (SLES 10.2 / OES2 sp3), all I get under Users is "unknown ID = xxx". It does not show any users names. And it only shows a few names, maybe 3 or 4.

I still have a few Netware boxes running, and it work fine on them.

Does anyone know how to trouble shoot this ?

Thank you,

Tony

You probably need to LUM enable your users.

Thomas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Thomas,

That was what the patch was supposed to fix. Remove the requirement to LUM-enable the users for NRM inventory
But the patch didn't make it into the April 2011 patch (even though it lists that defect as being fixed)

It's either in the May 2011 or it'll be in the July patch

I have to check my email
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

kjhurni;2116814 wrote:
Hi Thomas,

That was what the patch was supposed to fix. Remove the requirement to LUM-enable the users for NRM inventory
But the patch didn't make it into the April 2011 patch (even though it lists that defect as being fixed)

It's either in the May 2011 or it'll be in the July patch

I have to check my email

HI Kevin,
okay, I didn't see your post before I replied. Good to know that there is a fix.

Thomas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

No worries, Thomas

I mean technically your fix will work too.

I'm just "anti-LUM" so I complained up a storm and Novell supposedly finally fixed it (not just for little old me of course)

Now to find the stinkin' email to see if it was May or July fix

AUGH!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

kjhurni;2116825 wrote:
No worries, Thomas

I mean technically your fix will work too.

I'm just "anti-LUM" so I complained up a storm and Novell supposedly finally fixed it (not just for little old me of course)

Now to find the stinkin' email to see if it was May or July fix

AUGH!

Seems to be may update: NOVELL: Downloads - May 2011 Scheduled Maintenance for OES2 SP3 7485

618074: Novell Remote Manager does not report NSS usage properly without LUM-enabling

Thomas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Thanks Thomas.

Finally found the email. It was supposed to be in Feb, and then it slipped to April, and apparently it slipped again to May

I'll have to verify it this time for myself
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

hmmm, well I have a diff. bug #
Bug 641691: OES Linux NoRM's Volume Inventory reports display Unknown ID non-LUM enabled users

and it's NOT fixed in the May 2011 code. At least my inventory only reports users that are LUM-enabled and everyone else shows up as "nobody"

AUGH
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

kjhurni;2116843 wrote:
hmmm, well I have a diff. bug #
Bug 641691: OES Linux NoRM's Volume Inventory reports display Unknown ID non-LUM enabled users

and it's NOT fixed in the May 2011 code. At least my inventory only reports users that are LUM-enabled and everyone else shows up as "nobody"

AUGH

Well at least we know now that it is reported so hang in there Tony 🙂 A fix will probably arrive *soonish*.

Thomas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

New bug #697168
July supposedly

Oh, I'd still have the OP use the May patch as my setup (that's not working) has Clustered DST volumes as well, so perhaps a "normal" non-clustered, non-DST volume may work with the May 2011 patch.
0 Likes
afiore Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Good Morning,

Thank you all for the insight. I thought I had LUM enabled, so I guess I'll have to look at that too.

I've also had problems with the auto update, so I'll have to check what maintenance packs I have.

Thanks,

Tony
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Tony

LUM is enabled by default. But you have to manually LUM-enable ALL your users (at least unless you verify that the May 2011 patch fixed it)

We choose to NOT LUM-enable all our users because none of our users SHOULD have access to the Linux OS. LUM is require for things like:
SSH
NRM
FTP
Telnet

etc

Since only us "admin" people should have that access (we don't use FTP obviously) we don't want to LUM-enable any non-admin user.

However, some places want/need to LUM-enable all users (oh I forgot about nasty quickfinder as well).
0 Likes
skapanen2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 23.06.2011 22:06, kjhurni wrote:
>
> No worries, Thomas
>
> I mean technically your fix will work too.
>
> I'm just "anti-LUM" so I complained up a storm and Novell supposedly
> finally fixed it (not just for little old me of course)

we are anti-LUM too 😃
so would like to see this fixed.

Do you have access to the bugs mentioned, does this fix kick in straight
away or is there some background stuff required to get the stats up to date?
(if it just works from that point on, for new users, new data..)

-sk

HAMK University - OES, NW, GW, NCS, eDir, Zen, IDM, NSL - www.hamk.fi
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

It's supposed to kick-in immediately, based upon my understanding of the patch.
I'm still testing, so I should know later today or tomorrow.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.