Rachelsdad Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Removing old NetWare licenses after OES2 migration

Greetings, all...

Here's one of those odd questions which really doesn't make much difference in the long run, other than providing a puzzle to solve:

A couple months ago, I finally migrated my last client running NetWare 5.0 (no, I'm not kidding!) on a dual PII/233 machine to a Proliant DL380 G4 running OES2 Linux 64-bit.

Needless to say, the migration didn't go as smoothly as one would have hoped; in fact, anyone who knows NetWare knows that getting from 5.0 to anywhere is a feat unto itself... 😉 Anyway, I bumped the little box up from 5.0 - 5.1 - 6.5 (applying all the patches I could find along the way), and finally did the migration across the wire to the new box (this is a single server environment, with only a handful of users).

eDirectory finally migrated over, but I was never able to get the filesystem to move. I had to do that manually (luckily, all the files fit on a single USB stick, so the only thing I lost was the trustee & rights info, which in this setup really made little difference to set back up again after the transfer).

Anyway, I happened to notice today that the NetWare 5.0 license containers and licenses are still in the tree. Trying to remove them from C1 running on the server yields me an error that I don't have rights to do this(!), and iManager, of course, complains that no NetWare licensing provider can be contacted.

So, aside from setting up a temporary NetWare box in this tree solely to zap those pesky objects, or resorting to something drastic, like manually hacking them out, does anyone have an idea as to how to more elegantly retire these objects from the tree?

Thanks, and I hope that this has provided at least a little humor to some longtime friends and colleagues. 😉

Cheers.

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC www.2rosenthals.com
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
ataubman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Removing old NetWare licenses after OES2 migration

You need to use the user who installed those licenses, then NWadmin should allow you to remove them. Failing that, this utility will get you there:
http://www.dreamlan.com/freeware/rmLicIRF.zip

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hmmm...

Well, Admin is the user who installed the licenses in the first place. However, the utility does me no good, as it is an NLM, and as I mentioned, I no longer have any NetWare servers in the tree. 🙂

NWAdmin doesn't want to remove the licenses for the same reason I can't get a license report from iManager: there are no license providers (NetWare servers running NLSLSP, I 'spose) running in the tree...

Now, I can get to the tree from a NetWare 6.5 box running outside it, however, I don't think that's going to do me much good.

Thanks for the thoughts, though, Andy. I'm thinking more and more that I'm going to need to install a temporary NetWare box in the tree (or a virtual one) just to run NLSLSP to be able to get these old licenses out of there (or just leave them).

Cheers.

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE, CWTS Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC www.2rosenthals.com
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Quick follow-up:

Actually, what iManager is trying to find is a NetWare server running nlsadapt.nlm. The actual message is:

iManager queried every NetWare server in the directory 
and could not find a version of nlsadapt.nlm that supports
License Management. This could happen because nlsadapt.nlm
is not loaded on a server, the server running the NLM is not
available, or iManager is connected to a tree where all
versions of the server are older than 6.0.

Also, I'm not the only one to run into this, evidently. While doing a bit more hunting, I came across this post and, more recently, this one.

thanks to the latter, I have a better understanding of exactly who/what installed the license (the server, and not Admin). Apologies for sounding daft in my previous response; when I read Marcel's comments - and yours, Andy - in that latter thread, it made more sense to me.

😉

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Rachelsdad wrote:

>
> Quick follow-up:
>
> Actually, what iManager is trying to find is a NetWare server running
> nlsadapt.nlm. The actual message is:
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> iManager queried every NetWare server in the directory
> and could not find a version of nlsadapt.nlm that supports
> License Management. This could happen because nlsadapt.nlm
> is not loaded on a server, the server running the NLM is not
> available, or iManager is connected to a tree where all
> versions of the server are older than 6.0.
> --------------------
>
>
> Also, I'm not the only one to run into this, evidently. While doing a
> bit more hunting, I came across 'this post'
>

(http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/edirectory/edir-linux/340195-force-removal-netware-license-objects.html)
> and, more recently, 'this one'
>

(http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/edirectory/edir-linux/365277-cant-delete-old-nw-licenses-629-error.html).
>
> thanks to the latter, I have a better understanding of exactly who/what
> installed the license (the server, and not Admin). Apologies for
> sounding daft in my previous response; when I read Marcel's comments -
> and yours, Andy - in that latter thread, it made more sense to me.
>
> 😉
>
>

If it is a matter you just want to have things clean I understand. But it
should not hurt anything if you actually leave them there.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.