Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
lcurrie Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Replicas on cluster servers

I'm asking this question separately since I want to get a consenus on this.

Our cluster servers have single hard drives.

At the time our cluster was setup it was recommended that several replicas be placed on our cluster servers.

I'm now starting to hear conflicting comments from new sources.

In your opinion would it be best practices to have replicas on cluster servers?

Thanks,
Lin

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Replicas on cluster servers

We have replicas on our clustered servers, but not all of them.

The reason?

We have some rather large data volumes that are accessed by thousands of users every day.

If we do not put a replica on them, we end up with lots of external references on the server and have had lots of issues in the past with stuck ext references and not updating, etc.

So we just put replicas on those servers, of the partitions that contain those user objects and got rid of that problem.

However, we have 3 NON-clustered servers that are "ds" servers. One is a DS Master Replica, the other two are R/w replicas. We do not have a clustered server with all replicas on it.

We also had to put the replica of the security partition on all the servers due to issues with NMAS and enabling the screen saver password with the Novell Client.

So I'd say you can and should have replicas on your clustered servers, it just depends on what the server is doing.

WE don't have replicas on our GroupWise servers (except for the primary as the MTA syncing doesn't seem to behave properly without it). Because our groupwise servers are strictly "groupwise" (no need for users to actually authenticate via NCP to them).
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.