smstrickler Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Restoring ARCserve tapes of a NW 6.5 system

Greetings, all!

I need to restore ARCserve backups of a NW 6.5 system, but no longer have access to the NW installation disks. Has anyone had any success with restoring NW 6.5 data to OES using the backup software or does it tell you that it's can't find a NW Client to which it can restore the data?

Thanks in advance!
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Restoring ARCserve tapes of a NW 6.5 system

If you're just restoring data files, it shouldn't matter in theory as the data transfer will go through the TSA, which "has no clue" of what the underlying OS is.

-- eDirectory Rules! Peter www.DreamLAN.com
0 Likes
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Of course, in a pinch, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't use the NW65SP8 ISO to install a server just to restore your tapes to ... provided, of course, you have the AS drivers handy.

-- eDirectory Rules! Peter www.DreamLAN.com
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Smstrickler wrote:
> I need to restore ARCserve backups of a NW 6.5 system, but no longer
> have access to the NW installation disks.

Lite Peter says, you should be able to restore to OES through the TSA,
question is: Do you have ArcServe running at all (on Linux or Windows)?

--
Anders

0 Likes
Absent Member.

I do have ARCserve, so I will give it a shot. I downloaded NW 6.5 and tried to install it as a VM through Virtual Box on the ARCserve box, but can't get networking to work so one can't see the other.

AndersG;2312939 wrote:
Smstrickler wrote:
> I need to restore ARCserve backups of a NW 6.5 system, but no longer
> have access to the NW installation disks.

Lite Peter says, you should be able to restore to OES through the TSA,
question is: Do you have ArcServe running at all (on Linux or Windows)?

--
Anders
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Smstrickler,
> tried to install it as a VM through Virtual Box on the ARCserve box, but
> can't get networking to work so one can't see the other.

I have no experience with VirtualBox, but with VMWare, it is easy. I guess
you need to load the correct NIC driver for virtualbox.-

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

Unless the goal is to completely ressurect the NW server, you can restore the data to a different path, which could be some sub-folder on the existing OES server, or a window box you put the agent on, IIRC with ARCserv you would have a license for a window target auto magically. If the data is all that matters, this is much easier than try8ng to get back a long dead server.

-- Bob
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks, all! My only experience with Novell is being a security guard at one of their buildings in college.

Mission sort-of accomplished! I bailed on Virtual Box because I couldn't get a network connection between the VM and my 2003 server, so I switched to the VMware Player and now ARCserve can see the VM and the agent login is a success. I did a test restore of one folder and while it restored files it was very, very slow.

Perhaps there is an issue with my setup. Any time I tried to get the software to restore to a local disk directly it would fail because it says it isn't a Netware volume. As such, I have to go through a virtual 100Mbs network adapter in order to perform the restore.

Is there a way to make a local drive look like a Netware volume to speed things up?

smstrickler;2312907 wrote:
Greetings, all!

I need to restore ARCserve backups of a NW 6.5 system, but no longer have access to the NW installation disks. Has anyone had any success with restoring NW 6.5 data to OES using the backup software or does it tell you that it's can't find a NW Client to which it can restore the data?

Thanks in advance!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Smstrickler,
> Is there a way to make a local drive look like a Netware volume to speed
> things up?

No AFAIK. ArcServe is picky in that respect. It wants to restore to the
same type of volume. What you could do, but I have never tried that on
Player, is to install a NW volume on a raw disk partition, restore to that
and then access it as you would a regular NetWare server.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.