spelk Absent Member.
Absent Member.
5016 views

Restoring with SBCON

We backup daily using SBCON to DLT VS1 tapes.

I am having difficulty restoring specific files using SBCON

On the original tape lets say I want to restore this file

PROJECTS:Projects/0002/Data/Raw Data/RDO/RDORaw.dat

to another Directory

USERS:SHARE/RESTORE

So I set up a Restore Job, select the session to restore from, and under Advanced Options set the following:

Rename Data Sets:
Source Path: PROJECTS:Projects/0002/Data/Raw Data/RDO/
Destination Path: USERS:SHARE/RESTORE
Namespace: LONG (4)

Subsets of what to Restore:
Include Files: PROJECTS:Projects/0002/Data/Raw Data/RDO/RDORaw.dat
(all other options set to default)

Open Mode Options: (all set to No)

Overwrite Parent: No
Overwrite Child: No

Then I submit the job. And it fails to restore the data.

Can someone point me in the right direction to set up an SBCON restore job for specific files, that restore to a different place. We used to use SBACKUP/NBACKUP and you could pick files off a list there, puzzles me why this options isn't in SBCON.

Your advice and help would be very much appreciated, thanks..
Labels (2)
0 Likes
18 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Restoring with SBCON

I generally use a scratch volume for restores since I most of the time
get it wrong 🙂 That way I do not run the risk of overwriting something
I did not intend to. For that I use rename data sets, but just do like

VOL1: -> VOL2:

I normally use the DOS namespace to minimise confusion.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
spelk Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Restoring with SBCON

Thanks for your swift reply.

Does it mean you have to do full volume restores for just a handful of files - just for safety's sake?

I've just tried again, and this time it has restored the single file I wanted, but then proceeded to restore all other files to locations other than the rename destination, luckily with the overwrite settings off I'm hoping I've not just overwritten a lot of current work with a backup.

It really is cumbersome to run, difficult to understand, and downright dangerous.. perhaps I just haven't understood the concept of Data Sets and the confusing array of include and exclude options available in SBCON

If anyone else can clarify these muddy waters for me I'd appreciate it.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Restoring with SBCON

Spelk,
> Does it mean you have to do full volume restores for just a handful of
> files - just for safety's sake?


No, I use filters to restore. The redirection is just a safeguard in case
I screw up. I just use filters to select, ie ACCO*.DAT or such. I never
claimed that it was the most efficient or elegant method, but since I
only restore files once or twice per year, who cares.

If I wanted ease of use, I'd use something else. Like ArcServe or BE.

> I've just tried again, and this time it has restored the single file I
> wanted, but then proceeded to restore all other files to locations
> other than the rename destination, luckily with the overwrite settings
> off I'm hoping I've not just overwritten a lot of current work with a
> backup.
>
> It really is cumbersome to run, difficult to understand, and downright
> dangerous.. perhaps I just haven't understood the concept of Data Sets
> and the confusing array of include and exclude options available in
> SBCON
>
> If anyone else can clarify these muddy waters for me I'd appreciate it.
>



- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
spelk Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Restoring with SBCON

AndersG;1445970 wrote:

No, I use filters to restore. The redirection is just a safeguard in case
I screw up. I just use filters to select, ie ACCO*.DAT or such. I never
claimed that it was the most efficient or elegant method, but since I
only restore files once or twice per year, who cares.

If I wanted ease of use, I'd use something else. Like ArcServe or BE.


Thank you for your reply.

Has anyone performed successful single file restore with SBCON? If so, I'd be very grateful to see how you did it. Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Restoring with SBCON

Spelk,
> Has anyone performed successful single file restore with SBCON? If so,
> I'd be very grateful to see how you did it. Thanks in advance.
>

I have, let me try to explain. Use rename data sets and use the DOS
namespace, rename say VOL1 to VOL2

Subsets of What to Restore:
Include files
Ins
DOS namespace
FUDGE.DAT

Granted, this will restore every file named FUDGE.DAT, bit since they
end up on the scratch volume, no damage is done 🙂

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
rednaskel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Restoring with SBCON

Hi!
I have same problem but with directories. I've done same what AndersG said but with no renaming.
First of all I've choosen target service (where restore - same server), session to restore(on my tape there is 2 sessions - first normal, second appended) then went to advanced opts, subsets...
Include dirs
ins
SERVER\VOLUME:DIR\ANOTERDIR

ESC
ESC
(YES) ENTER
Then Current Job List
Pointed to running session -> Ins
<long waiting> - completition message and nothing appeared in Data Sets Processed window
I've tired to add major TSA resources (to specify what volume I need to restore - as I know) and... guess what? 🙂
I have no idea what to do next...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Restoring with SBCON

Your filter is most likely wrong. Try playing with that and restore to
a scratch volume so you do not overwrite anything important.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
rednaskel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Restoring with SBCON

I'll set to rename SERV\VOL1: to SERV\VOL2:, then include TSA major resource - VOL1, and then it will work fine?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Restoring with SBCON

Rednaskel,
> I'll set to rename SERV\VOL1: to SERV\VOL2:, then include TSA major
> resource - VOL1, and then it will work fine?
>

Rename VOL1 to VOL2 should be fine and if you include and entire
resource then it will restore all of that, which may or many not be
what you want 😉 I generally restore just individual files, file
File*.DAT

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
rednaskel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Restoring with SBCON

It is not what I want but I have to restore whole directory structure. Of course some of data are not necessary, but when I'm trying to get some files and dirs by selecting "Include directory" nothing happens. 7:30hrs of making magic with server and it finally works 🙂
Thanks so lot 🙂
0 Likes
netwaregunu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Restoring with SBCON

Can you use sbcon to restore data from server A to server B??
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Restoring with SBCON

Netwaregunu,
> Can you use sbcon to restore data from server A to server B??


Yes.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
velahton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Restoring with SBCON

I am trying to restore one file from our backup tape. I select
Advanced Options
Subsets of What to Restore
Include files
Now: should I add just the file name or also the path where to find to file?
If I need to tell also the path, what is the correct format?
volyme:/folder1/folder2/filename
or just the filename?

But what does Default mean in all other options? My problem is that now it starts restoring everything from the tape, not just one file.

I don't have any scratch volyme to restore, is it difficult to make a new volyme to a Netware 6.5?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Restoring with SBCON

Velahton,
> I am trying to restore one file from our backup tape. I select
> Advanced Options
> Subsets of What to Restore
> Include files
> Now: should I add just the file name or also the path where to find to
> file?
> If I need to tell also the path, what is the correct format?
> volyme:/folder1/folder2/filename
> or just the filename?
>
> But what does Default mean in all other options? My problem is that now
> it starts restoring everything from the tape, not just one file.


Ah.. Was a long time since I used SBCON,but yes, selecting and restoring
was a royal pain. If you just enter the filename, then it will restore
all files by that name. So if you have a tiny amount of free space, then
consider cerating a scratch volume. It need not be much bigger than the
file you are restoring.

You can also resore to a remote server, just make sure that the TSA is
loaded

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.