Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1771 views

Reverse PTR lookup problem

Here's a sample DNS setup for a test system using internal IP addresses
only
DNS server is running on 192.168.1.1

I am able to ping (-a) and resolve 192.168.1.1, abc.com, and
ns1.abc.com.
But, I cannot ping -a 192.168.1.2 (which should resolve to mail.abc.com)

Here's the export of the abc.com zone and the IN-ARPA

$ORIGIN abc.com.
@ IN SOA abc.com. ns1.abc.com. (
2006051151 ; Serial
10800 ; Refresh
3600 ; Retry
604800 ; Expire
86400 ) ; Minimum


$ORIGIN com.
abc IN A 192.168.1.1
IN NS ns1.abc.com.
IN MX 0 192.168.1.2.

$ORIGIN abc.com.
ns1 IN A 192.168.1.1
mail IN A 192.168.1.2



$ORIGIN 1.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
@ IN SOA abc.com. root.1.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA. (
2006051131 ; Serial
10800 ; Refresh
3600 ; Retry
604800 ; Expire
86400 ) ; Minimum


$ORIGIN 1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
1 IN NS ns1.abc.com.
IN PTR ns1.abc.com.
IN PTR abc.com.
2 IN NS ns1.abc.com.
IN PTR mail.abc.com.



Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Reverse PTR lookup problem

In article <4463DB0C.F4A93EC6@hillhouse.ca>, Steve Babcock wrote:
> $ORIGIN 1.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
>

You created a ZONE called 1.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA, which is not
correct. You need the zone to be named 1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA, and to
have a PTR record called '1' inside of it. When creating the zone,
enter 192 168 1, and leave the last value empty.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Reverse PTR lookup problem

Thanks - Yes I realized it late last night. !!

dnsreport.com indicates that my DNS server is 'recursive' and it
recommends that it should not be. How do I change this ?

Steve

Brad Doster wrote:

> In article <4463DB0C.F4A93EC6@hillhouse.ca>, Steve Babcock wrote:
> > $ORIGIN 1.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
> >

> You created a ZONE called 1.1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA, which is not
> correct. You need the zone to be named 1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA, and to
> have a PTR record called '1' inside of it. When creating the zone,
> enter 192 168 1, and leave the last value empty.
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Reverse PTR lookup problem

In article <4464D313.2100D6B8@hillhouse.ca>, Steve Babcock wrote:
> dnsreport.com indicates that my DNS server is 'recursive' and it
> recommends that it should not be.
>

For NW 6.5, that is configured at the DNS server level as one of its
Control Lists. I suspect you're best off to leave things as they are
in this case.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Reverse PTR lookup problem

OK - thanks

Brad Doster wrote:

> In article <4464D313.2100D6B8@hillhouse.ca>, Steve Babcock wrote:
> > dnsreport.com indicates that my DNS server is 'recursive' and it
> > recommends that it should not be.
> >

> For NW 6.5, that is configured at the DNS server level as one of its
> Control Lists. I suspect you're best off to leave things as they are
> in this case.
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Reverse PTR lookup problem

No problem

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.