Highlighted
Chris Mosentine Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Roaming profiles not fully sync'ing

Hi all:  I have run into a rather strange problem.  I am rolling out new computers throughout the office.  I am running a custom Windows 10 image which is working well.  We use roaming profiles which get saved to an NSS volume.  This has worked well for many many years.

However, I am now having a problem with the profiles sync'ing after installing our anti-virus software.  Before you say it is obviously the anti-virus software causing the problem, which I did as well, I changed the location where the profiles get saved to a Windows server.  Guess what, they work fine there.

One other thing to note.  We redirect the downloads folder in Firefox to save to the uses home directory on an NSS volume.  For some reason Firefox is failing all downloads.  If I change the location the downloads get saved to a local directory all is well.

Any suggestions?

For completeness, the PCs are HP Prodesk 600 G4s running Windows 10 1909.  The NSS volume is hosted on a fully patched OES 2018 sp1 server and the windows server is a fully patched 2012 R2 box.

Thanks for your time, Chris.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Roaming profiles not fully sync'ing

Not saying I have an idea yet (besides the very obvious "takea lan trace", but one very crucial information is missing: WHich protocol do you use to access OES? NCP, or CIFS?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

A LAN trace is a good tool for seeing "what's actually happening."  And agree that knowing the protocol will be key, too.

Although for this kind of case, if I had to choose, I would say a Microsoft Process Monitor log has the best chance of showing "What changed about attempts to access the roaming profile path?" after the introduction of the anti-virus software.

Since those situations can be something like "the software is attempting a Windows file system API which is entirely CIFS- or NTFS-specific, and was unwilling to forgive if the underlying file system says that particular operation isn't supported."

Which results in zero new NCP traffic on the wire because the operation isn't supported.  But is a new operation you can see being attempted in the Windows file system API capturing of Process Monitor, after introducing the anti-virus software.

If you can identify not just the product but the exact anti-virus version, that too could help in confirming whether others recall having had related issues; even if not exactly during roaming profile access. 

0 Likes
Chris Mosentine Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the reply.  We are using NCP, not CIFS or SMB.  I'll look into the LAN trace; that's a good idea.

Chris

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.