dwjrdto2000
Visitor.

Rug Gui not showing any more updates but I know there are

This is 64bit NOWS SBE 2.5

This is about my tenth install on the same machine trying to get through it.

After I installed, the Rug Gui showed one update. I did that update and then rebooted.

Rug Gui then showed 103 updates to do. It was late in day so I shut down the server.

This morning I came in and started the machine up and the Rug Gui showed the same 103 updates to do. I was reading email on a separate machine and glanced over at the NOWs terminal and noticed the Rug Gui had turned into a Globe (not the exclamation point). I seriously DID NOT TOUCH THE THING.

Now when I click on the Globe it says no updates available.

The past two installs, I would install, go through the first update, then the 103 updates, and then when it rebooted the Rug would not show the updates to move to the next service packs. I initially thought it was a problem in the customer center b/c I had accumulated several machines against my license (even though they are just rebuilds of the same machine), but this time I had removed all the systems from the customer center online BEFORE I did this last install. Anyone have any ideas as to how to get my updates back working?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Rug Gui not showing any more updates but I know there ar

I'm not sure if NOWS is special compared to regular OES2, so you may have better luck asking in the NOWS forums.

I"ve seen similar with OES2 SP2 and trying to use the channel to update to SP3. Usually at that point, I'd do an offline/media upgrade, but again that was with "regular" OES2 and not NOWS.
0 Likes
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I don't know how NOWS SBE behaves compred to regular OES, but from a shell window, try executing the following commands and report the output of these commands:

rug sl

rug ca

rug lu

Also try the command:

rug ref

to refresh the list of updates.
0 Likes
dwjrdto2000
Visitor.

All those just show the local cache of Sles10_SP2; OES2_SP1; NOWSSBE2

Rug lu says no updates available.

Before I rebooted, it had shown something like nu.novell.com; but that is now gone.
0 Likes
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Rug Gui not showing any more updates but I know there are

Check the following TID:

http://www.novell.com/support/viewContent.do?externalId=3150078

I don't know how close it matches NOWs SBE, but it should at least give
useful hints on how to attack the problem.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes
dwjrdto2000
Visitor.

Got it to work with Novell assistance. FYI, he basically gave me a workaround where everytime I did an update and the RUG broke, I would re-register at the command line. This would fix RUG, I would do another round of updates, RUG broke again, re-register, and so on. Interestingly one of the updates, something like slesp3-sfwaremgmt-201101 was described as fixing this exact issue. After that update was done, I no longer had to re-register and the RUG did not break anymore. So that is that. Now I'm trying to fix my arcserve issue where as soon as it accesses the tape it "cannot allocate memory".
0 Likes
willmw Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dwjrdto2000;2112389 wrote:
Got it to work with Novell assistance. FYI, he basically gave me a workaround where everytime I did an update and the RUG broke, I would re-register at the command line. This would fix RUG, I would do another round of updates, RUG broke again, re-register, and so on. Interestingly one of the updates, something like slesp3-sfwaremgmt-201101 was described as fixing this exact issue. After that update was done, I no longer had to re-register and the RUG did not break anymore. ".

Mind sharing the details of the workaround?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

My take on it, was that he did a re-register (I'm assuming: suse_register)
to get rug working again, and eventually he got to the point where rug applied one of the "rug" updates (the software management one) at which point, it ultimately resolved the problem.
0 Likes
dwjrdto2000
Visitor.

Correct; he was going to email me all the commands, but never got around to it, so I just used the memory feature of the command line to bring up the commands he had used; basically it was stuff like stopping zmd, removing the zmd cache, removing the zmd secret, removing the zmd device id, then suse_register. It is similar to another TID floating around.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Probably this one:

Resetting your ZEN Updater and Novell Customer Center key registration

You can use it for SMT as well, obviously you're registered to SMT and not the NCC in that particular scenario.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.