Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

SLES 11/OES 11 Partitioning advice needed

I am working on building a couple test oes11 servers in preparation for a move from netware. I allocated 2 "disks", 1 for sles 11 and then one for NSS. If I have a 40 gb disk allocated for sles, what is suggested for setting up the partitioning ? Defaults ? What about using lvm for the sles portion (the default does not seem to use lvm).
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

deborahshields;2185544 wrote:
I am working on building a couple test oes11 servers in preparation for a move from netware. I allocated 2 "disks", 1 for sles 11 and then one for NSS. If I have a 40 gb disk allocated for sles, what is suggested for setting up the partitioning ? Defaults ? What about using lvm for the sles portion (the default does not seem to use lvm).

What will the server's primary roles be? Default partitioning might install a partition for /home, which might not be needed if you don't plan on storing users on the box. If it is going to be a logging server, you may want to break a partition out for /var (if you fill it up, it wont corrupt your / partition). Once you have identified the role you want your server to play, you partition it accordingly. For me, I just do testing, so I have a swap partition and /, and that is it. It isn't a bad idea to break /boot off onto its own 100 MB partition. If you ever corrupt your / partition it will make it easier to recover.

Anyway, just some food for thought.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

joharmon;2185557 wrote:
What will the server's primary roles be? Default partitioning might install a partition for /home, which might not be needed if you don't plan on storing users on the box. If it is going to be a logging server, you may want to break a partition out for /var (if you fill it up, it wont corrupt your / partition). Once you have identified the role you want your server to play, you partition it accordingly. For me, I just do testing, so I have a swap partition and /, and that is it. It isn't a bad idea to break /boot off onto its own 100 MB partition. If you ever corrupt your / partition it will make it easier to recover.

Anyway, just some food for thought.

To start out with, they are just going to be file servers. What about using lvm on the sles portion ? Not necessary ?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

deborahshields;2185567 wrote:
To start out with, they are just going to be file servers. What about using lvm on the sles portion ? Not necessary ?

LVM isn't necessary if you don't want to use it. It can give you greater flexibility later, but isn't required. I don't use it on my setups as I am just testing all of the time. If you plan on making it a production system later, you may want the extra flexability. At work I just use regular LVM-less partitions; however, at home, I think I used LVM on some setups so that I can more easily expand partitions if necessary. I would avoid spanning partitions across disks though. If you lose one disk you lose everything. The more disks you add (outside of a raid) the greater the chance that a failure could occur.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

deborahshields;2185544 wrote:

A scheme I've been using with OES2 and works well for OES 11 so far:

Create a 36~38 GB OS disk:

While installing, create 4 primary partitions, the first three will be traditional filesystems (as non LVM partitions)

part 1 - /boot 500 MB - ext2
part 2 - / (root) 14 GB - ext3
part 3 - swap 3 GB - swap (adding more SWAP space = overkill)
part 4 - *LVM type partition, giving it the rest of the free disk space*

>> Now use the "Volume Management" section of YaST disk partitioning tool to:
- create a logical volume group called VGSYSTEM , include partition 4 in this volume group, the default 4k extent is fine.
- Then add to LVM volumes to volume group VGSYSTEM :
name : lv_var, size 12 GB, mountpoint /var (will hold eDir, logfiles, etc) - ext3
name: lv_usr-install, size 7 GB, mountpoint /usr/install - ext3 (just a place to put all installers/ISO's etc)

leave the rest free if you like (for future purpose)

Now if the / (root) is in danger of filling up, you have the option to whack the swap partition and place it elsewhere. Then extend and add the 3 GB to / (root), which is possible due to the order the partitions have been created.

I've been running OES2 servers for three/four years with this setup.... no issues whatsoever, though it's good to keep an eye on how running services are filling logfiles and possibly "temp" directories that don't get cleaned up properly over time.

Just my 2cents,

Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.