Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

SLES10 x86 OES2 to SLES11 OES11 x86_64 VM?

I wonder if there is any possible upgrade-path or is a migration the best way to go?

If migration: how do i start?

What we currentliy sit on:

SLES 10 SP2 x86 with OES 2 SP2 on a hp server (no VM)

What we want:

SLES 11 SP2 x86-64 bit with OES 11 SP1 (VMware ESXi 4.1)

Thank you for your CPU-time! 🙂
Sebastian
Labels (2)
0 Likes
17 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Funny, already been writing a post with that question too, but not sending it because of getting some coffee. ^^

Hmm, if it doen´t make a difference a migration may be less frustrating, i hope (didn´t do one yet).

The server is also a Groupwise Postoffice and is a slave NDS. If that changes anything...

Sebastian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi.

On 22.10.2012 11:46, Ronnenberg wrote:
> Why not migrate to OES 11 directly?

Because the migration is almost guaranteed to fail miserably with such a
mess as source server. And it's not supported either. The source must be
current for its version.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Update:

After two days of imaging the Server in different ways (acronis v10,11,12 / clonezilla and ghost / images / 1:1 and Sectorcopys)

Failing to boot the restored server on the test hardware, and tried many things things with MBR, bootmanager etc., i found many others who tried imaging a HP DL Server with Smartarray (p400 i think), RAID 5 and LVM who didn´t find a solution.

After finding out, that cold p2v (offline System to VM from live CD) is for people with a fancy new enterprise licence for VMware Converter only, there still was "hot p2v" left.

Finally the p2v worked perfectly and was a very easy and fast way to get a copy to play around with. (wish they´d make Backupsoftware too!!)

My thought was to update it and migrate it later, while the original server is still running (people need it -.-), but my workmate and i think it will not be possible to replace the server with the updated one which had no connection to the Masterreplica for a long time then.

So i´m going to cut the network connection later the day and p2v it again and replace the original server with the new one and make the update/upgrades with VM snapshots.

Sebastian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hmm, i wonder if i could update the Server offline and put it back into the network after success, or is a connection to the master replica mandatory while updating?

Couldn´t find anything about this in the docs.

If I would update it online (with connection to the master) is it possible to roll back to the snapshot-checkpoint? Or will it not be accepted anymore?

Sebastian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 25.10.2012 13:56, Ronnenberg wrote:
>
> Hmm, i wonder if i could update the Server offline and put it back into
> the network after success, or is a connection to the master replica
> mandatory while updating?

While doing the service packs for OES, after the reboot, you need access
to eDir, as some services get reconfigured. Regular patching without a
service pack doesn't need eDir.

> If I would update it online (with connection to the master) is it
> possible to roll back to the snapshot-checkpoint?

Yes. It's not going to do critical changes to eDir.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

The VM upgraded to OES2 SP1b without problems!

It just doesn´t download updates, because it doesn´t like my serial numbers, calling big N later the day!

I´m going to make the upgrades over the next weeks, one at a time.

Thank you! Bye, Sebastian
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.