lpphiggp
New Member.

SMS cannot login as root, claims password incorrect

I was trying to set up a migration (from the target machine) when it failed to login to itself -the target machine, running SLES10-OES2 sp3.

Interestingly, it has no issue with the tree admin account, only root. The root password is, of course, correct as entered, as the other functions dependent on it (such as SSH'ing into the box in the first place) work fine.
I've stopped and restarted smdr, triple checked the settings under /etc/opt/novell/sms/smdr.conf but can find nothing amiss.
The migration log says the password is incorrect (wrong) or that sms is not running (also wrong)

The basic test of:
nbackup -U root -l /etc/SuSE-release
fails with "connection denied" once the password is entered.

I have no idea at this point. How can one service fail to auth the root passwd when all others can?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
lpphiggp
New Member.

Re: SMS cannot login as root, claims password incorrect

Nevermind- this (virtual) server has bigger issues than just SMS. I think something in SP3 broke it, because it takes about 20 hours to boot up if downed, just like another SLES10/OES2 sp3 server we have. (But at least SMS works on that one).
I've just removed DS from this server, I'm going to blow it away and start over from scratch.

lpphiggp;2181515 wrote:
I was trying to set up a migration (from the target machine) when it failed to login to itself -the target machine, running SLES10-OES2 sp3.

Interestingly, it has no issue with the tree admin account, only root. The root password is, of course, correct as entered, as the other functions dependent on it (such as SSH'ing into the box in the first place) work fine.
I've stopped and restarted smdr, triple checked the settings under /etc/opt/novell/sms/smdr.conf but can find nothing amiss.
The migration log says the password is incorrect (wrong) or that sms is not running (also wrong)

The basic test of:
nbackup -U root -l /etc/SuSE-release
fails with "connection denied" once the password is entered.

I have no idea at this point. How can one service fail to auth the root passwd when all others can?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.