velahton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sbcon and smsdi error

We are using sbcon to backup our Netware server (Netware 6.5).

Couple of days ago the nightly backup had failed. Now when I choose "Storage Device Administration" on sbcon and then the device "[V025-A1-D1:0] IBM DDS Gen5 f/wC0A0" I get:
Unidentifiable media

Tape has been in use for a while. I thought it might be failure with the tape, so I inserted a new tape. I get the same, unidentifiable media.

I thought I must label the tape so I took Insert, Change the media label, Yes. After about 5 seconds I get:
<SMSDI v1.0 293> SMSDI Memory allocation failed.

The server is not very old, about four years, it has 3 GB memory.

About two weeks ago we had the same problem, I booted the server and then backup worked about two weeks.

Can anybody help, what that smsdi error means and what would be the best way the solve the problem.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
14 Replies
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

Re: Sbcon and smsdi error

Well you must know when the next question is:

What patch kit has been applied to NetWare? Do you have any relevant post SP 8 patches?

On the server console, other than the SMSDI error, do you get any other indications of trouble in paradise regarding memory? Memory Allocator errors?

-- Bob
0 Likes
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

> About two weeks ago we had the same problem, I booted the server and then backup
> worked about two weeks.

This is suggestive you have a memory leak; first, ensure you're up to date on the NetWare SP, and then tape drive driver(s) if any are also up to date. Check in MONITOR to see what is using up a whole chunk of your memory ...

-- eDirectory Rules! Peter www.DreamLAN.com
0 Likes
velahton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bob-O-Rama;2248032 wrote:
What patch kit has been applied to NetWare? Do you have any relevant post SP 8 patches?

On the server console, other than the SMSDI error, do you get any other indications of trouble in paradise regarding memory? Memory Allocator errors?

Version in console gives this information:

Novell Open Enterprise Server, NetWare 6.5
Support Pack Revision 08
Server Version 5.70.08 October 3, 2008
Novell eDirectory Version 8.8 SP4 SMP
NDS Version 20217.06 4 November 2008

We bought the server three years ago fully patched, I haven't installed any patches after that.

With our earlier server (Netware 4.2) we had a memory leak, then we had quite often in console Memory Allocator Errors, but I haven't seen none of those errors with our new server.
0 Likes
velahton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

peterkuo;2248051 wrote:
This is suggestive you have a memory leak; first, ensure you're up to date on the NetWare SP, and then tape drive driver(s) if any are also up to date. Check in MONITOR to see what is using up a whole chunk of your memory ...

I also thought memory leak, but the backup with sbcon has worked well three years and I haven't noticed any error messages in console about memory as we had with our earlier server.

I'll try to check the tape drive drivers.

Which part of Monitor gives easiest information about memory usage? Should I check all parts from Loaded modules?
0 Likes
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, unfortunately you need to check each module and see how much RAM they are using. However, one simpler way is to track the amount of cache buffers you have available and see if it is steadily declining over this "two week" period (which you indicate may take for the memory problem to happen again after a restart).

0 Likes
velahton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

peterkuo;2248331 wrote:
However, one simpler way is to track the amount of cache buffers you have available

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to reboot the server today to see, will sbcon then get access to tape.

Do you mean these values taken from Monitor:
Original cache buffers: 785 122
Total cache buffers: 473 858

It looks that we have some kind of problem with the tape drive. I gave "List devices" in console and got the following:
0x0008: [V025-A1-D1:0] Unbound Device Object
0x0009: [V025-A0-D0:0] HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10N f/w:EX02 [CD]
0x000A: [V317-A2-D0:0] Unbound Device Object
0x000B: [V317-A2-D0:0] ADAPTEC RAID Device 0:00 f/w:1.0 [HDD]

I suppose that "Unbound Device Object" is not very good thing. Shouln't our tape drive(IBM dat 36/72 DDS-5) also be shown in the list?
0 Likes
velahton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I booted the server. Now sbcon sees the tape in drive.

Monitor shows now:
Original cache buffers: 785 109
Total cache buffers: 484 287

I hope the backups go well next week, I'm having then my winter vacation.
0 Likes
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think it was the smsdi error that caused the tape drive not to see seen so your reboot corrected that. And between the two Total Cache Buffers you can see that some were "tied up" before the reboot - of course any other processes may be using additional memory, but it could be used an indicator.

0 Likes
velahton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Last week the backups went without problems.

Monday I changed another tape to drive, no backup. Yesterday I had a busy day, today I tried to solve the problem. Same thing as earlier, unidentifiable media and when I try to label the tape, I get the same SMSDI error as earlier.

Then I thought that the tape may be the reason to problems, so I tried to change another tape. But now the tape drive won't give the tape out, when I press eject-button in drive.

Could that mean that there is something wrong with the drive or could something software based cause this?
0 Likes
velahton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

A week ago I booted the server. After restart the drive ejected tape normally. Could tape drive driver or sbcon (or some other software based stuff) cause the drive not to eject the tape?

After reboot sbcon made backups until yesterday. I changed tape on friday, backup still succeeded.

Yesterday I changed another tape, now sbcon did not regognize the tape, giving "Unidentifiable media". Then I tried to label the media, but sbcon gave new error message, which I haven't seen before:
SMSDI v.1.0 305: The device driver or device itself returned an error.

Then I checked, what console said:
NWPA-004: The CDM driver deactivated device [V025-A1-D1:0] IBM DDS GEN5 f/w:C0A0 Due to a device failure.

Cache buffers monitor shows now:
Original cache buffers: 785 122
Total cache buffers: 473 947

Has anyone knowledge about those error messages, what do they mean?
0 Likes
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you have 3GB of RAM and the cache buffers is only around 60% (give or take) upon a clean boot, this is not a good indicator. If you compare your current cache buffers where the tape drive isn't 'working' to when it works, you'll find that a 1% makes a difference ... personally, I still say your issue stems from insufficient memory (cache buffers). What software are you running on this server that is taking up the bulk of memory?

0 Likes
velahton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for your answer.

If the 60 % cache buffers is low, then it is very odd because we have no software running on server, it is only file storage server. There are users home directories, common directories (all users can see) and directories used by personel, not by students (this is a small college).

If I check System resources in Monitor, I see following:

Allocated memory pool 395 898 880 (changes slightly) 12 %
Cache buffer memory 1941 389 312 60 %
Cache movable memory 0 0 %
Cache non-movable memory 77 824 0 %
Code and data memory 60 594 503 2 %
Miscellaneous memory 821 963 449 (changes slightly) 26 %
Total server work memory 3 220 161 536 100 %

But are those amounts as they should be?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Velahton,
> But now the tape drive won't give the tape out,
> when I press eject-button in drive.
>
> Could that mean that there is something wrong with the drive or could
> something software based cause this?

Sounds very much like malfunctioning hardware.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Velahton,
> If the 60 % cache buffers is low, then it is very odd because we have
> no software running on server, it is only file storage server. There are
> users home directories, common directories (all users can see) and
> directories used by personel, not by students (this is a small college).

First of all: This is NW 6.5 SP8, right? If not, then apply SP8. If it is
then we need to look into what is eating memory. Are all volumes NSS? If
you load SEG.NLM and see what has allocated memory, what does it show?

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.