PhilJannusch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Server Consolidation tools

Not sure if this is the correct forum.

I need to migrate some Netware 6.0 volumes to a Linux OES2 cluster. Is the Consolidation Migration Tool still useful? I used it in the past and had great luck.

Also I need to migrate Linux OES (1) cluster volumes to Linux OES2 cluster (different cluster). What is the best tool for this?

I need to capture file owner and all the other file attribs.

thanks
Phil J
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Server Consolidation tools

Do you just need to migrate files, or do you also need to migrate services? For file migration, both the SCMU and the new migration tools should work. For the services, the new Linux based migration tools should also work to some level, though I wouldn't trust them too much. In any case, I would recommend you asking in the cluster forums for a second opinion:

OES: Cluster Services - NOVELL FORUMS
0 Likes
PhilJannusch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

All I need to move is data. Somewhere I heard that the the Server Consolidation and Migration Toolkit did not move data from OES server, is this true?

The fact that these are clustered servers should make a difference.

thanks
Phil J
0 Likes
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

PhilJannusch wrote:

>All I need to move is data. Somewhere I heard that the the Server
>Consolidation and Migration Toolkit did not move data from OES server,
>is this true?

If by OES, you mean OES/Linux, then yes, the SCMT does not work. It only
accepts NetWare (or Windows) servers as source. In that case, you need to
use the server based migration tools.

>The fact that these are clustered servers should make a difference.

In theory, the Linux based tools should work in this scenario.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

PhilJannusch;1760518 wrote:
All I need to move is data. Somewhere I heard that the the Server Consolidation and Migration Toolkit did not move data from OES server, is this true?

The fact that these are clustered servers should make a difference.

thanks
Phil J

I believe if you're going to migrate a cluster, you can do a rolling cluster upgrade (it's in the docs somewhere, I only printed the pages 51-whatever out, so I don't have the link handy).

Most things can simply be "migrated" with the cluster script, but other things (iPrint) require tools other than the migration utility (at least for NW 6.5)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.