cadd Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Server disk space fluctuations and slow performance

I have a weird problem that I am hoping someone on this forum may recognize and help me diagnose.

My users have been complaining that our Netware 6.5 server is slow early in the morning around 5:30 am to 7:00 am.

At first I thought this may be due to another server backing up this server remotely via the remote Backup Exec agent during this time period. So, I rescheduled backup jobs to change the time this particular server is backed up.

Still users are complaining.

Today, I noticed in the sys:\system\HEALTH.LOG file that there are warning of the server having less than 10% of disk space free. The server has 800 GB total space and the current free space is 131 GB. I thought this was odd since 10% of 800 GB is 80 GB, and we have more than that free.

The logs indicate this:

Tuesday, 7-21-2009 5:35 am
Available Disk Space on server ICT_FACIL_FS was in a SUSPECT State
Current Value - 93,776MB
Peak Value - 5,177MB *
Max Value - 826,603MB
Current SUSPECT threshold = Less than 10 % and Critical threshold = Less than 5 %
Current SUSPECT trigger delay = 60 and Critical trigger delay = 120
<HR NOSHADE ALIGN=RIGHT>
Tuesday, 7-21-2009 6:58 am
Available Disk Space on server ICT_FACIL_FS has returned to the GOOD State
Current Value - 101,473MB
Peak Value - 5,177MB *
Max Value - 826,612MB
Current SUSPECT threshold = Less than 10 % and Critical threshold = Less than 5 %
<HR NOSHADE ALIGN=RIGHT>
Wednesday, 7-22-2009 5:32 am
Available Disk Space on server ICT_FACIL_FS was in a SUSPECT State
Current Value - 93,736MB
Peak Value - 5,177MB *
Max Value - 826,606MB
<HR NOSHADE ALIGN=RIGHT>
Wednesday, 7-22-2009 6:54 am
Available Disk Space on server ICT_FACIL_FS has returned to the GOOD State
Current Value - 139,098MB
Peak Value - 5,177MB *
Max Value - 826,594MB

What I find strange is that the server space dips down to 93 GB free at around 5:30 am each day and then goes back to a GOOD state with around 130 GB free at 6:50 am.

At first I thought this may be a user dumping files on and off the server, but I went back through the log and found this is happening everyday, including weekends. It may be a user, but I don't know why they would be in her on a Sunday at 5:30 am moving files.

Does anyone know what might be causing this ?

Could some sort of automated process be using 40 - 50 GB of free space temporarily to perform some sort of process ?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Server disk space fluctuations and slow performance

Hi,

cadd wrote:
>
> Could some sort of automated process be using 40 - 50 GB of free space
> temporarily to perform some sort of process ?

Sure, but I wouldn't know any default Novell service that would do this.
Any third party software installed? You probably will have to look at
the server at the time it happens with NRM, and see what's using up the
space. Check the open files for instance.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
cadd Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm not familiar with NRM. What is this and where may I find it ?

I'm not running any third-party stuff, so that is what is weird about this.
0 Likes
cadd Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think you mean Novell Remote Manager
0 Likes
cadd Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I used Netware Remote Manager to review some statistics.

The available volume space stats is particularly interesting.

Every day between 4am and 7am, the disk space dips down 40 GB to 50GB and then restores back to the expected level between 7am and 8am. This started happening at the beginning of June.

I think this proves that 30GB to 40GB is being used "for something" each day and that amount of data being transferred to/from the disks would explain the slowness our users are seeing.

The question now is... what or who is using this space ?

I'm leaning towards a user and some sort of automated process.

Nothing runs on this server except file services.
0 Likes
ataubman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well, as Massimo said there is no default NW process that does this. Compress kicks in at midnight by default, but that would have the opposite effect of course. The usual things that decompress files in bulk are backups and anti-virus scans. But they don't explain why the disk space recovers between 7 and 8; unless say the Av scan is using temporary files then deletes them.

Please run Load Config /jumba1se and post the resulting config.txt here, first deleting any public IP addresses.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
cadd Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I found the problem...

It was a scheduled task scheduled at 4am on a Windows SQL server backing up the entire SQL backup directory to the Novell server. The task was setup to delete files older than five days on the Novell server but was not setup to address the files accumulating on the Windows server. The SQL backup directory on the Windows server had about 80 GB of old backups.

Basically it was copying over 80 GB of SQL DB backups starting at 4am and then finishing the task by deleting all files older than 5 days on the Novell server, which was about 70 GB worth.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.