Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3520 views

Server logical address space is running low

Hello,

My NetWare 6.5 server was setup back in 12/2005 but I haven't kept up with
all the SP's and patches over the years. The only problem(s) I have had
since day one was the "Server logical address space running low". After
doing some tuning at the time (-u setting and other) , all I had to do was
to restart the server every 3-4 months...
Nothing has changed with the server except that now I get the warning (+
yellow status in health monitor) after less than a month. The only
difference is that I started to use a bigger chunk of a volume that I didn't
use before (4-5GB).

- Would this alone explains that I am running out of logical address space
quicker?

- I know that I should install the latest service pack (I think SP8), but
it's been such a while... Where do I start? I am currently running SP4a
along with Zenworks 7.0.0.0 (client version) and Arcserve 11.1.

What is the safest route?

Thank you.

Eric


Labels (2)
0 Likes
21 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Server logical address space is running low

Eric,
> - I know that I should install the latest service pack (I think SP8), but
> it's been such a while... Where do I start? I am currently running SP4a
> along with Zenworks 7.0.0.0 (client version) and Arcserve 11.1.
>
> What is the safest route?
>

Sp8, latest patches for ZEN, latest patches for AS.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
fpierce Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Server logical address space is running low

Eric;1721728 wrote:
Hello,

My NetWare 6.5 server was setup back in 12/2005 but I haven't kept up with
all the SP's and patches over the years. The only problem(s) I have had
since day one was the "Server logical address space running low". After
doing some tuning at the time (-u setting and other) , all I had to do was
to restart the server every 3-4 months...
Nothing has changed with the server except that now I get the warning (+
yellow status in health monitor) after less than a month. The only
difference is that I started to use a bigger chunk of a volume that I didn't
use before (4-5GB).

- Would this alone explains that I am running out of logical address space
quicker?

- I know that I should install the latest service pack (I think SP8), but
it's been such a while... Where do I start? I am currently running SP4a
along with Zenworks 7.0.0.0 (client version) and Arcserve 11.1.

What is the safest route?

Thank you.

Eric


I suggest getting to at least sp7.
NOVELL: Downloads - NetWare 6.5 Support Pack 7

Copy the file to the server and extract it.
next, go into nwconfig, product options, install products not listed.
point it to where the support pack is and let it do its thing.

Its pretty straight forward. You will need to reboot when you are finished.

good luck.

FredP Novell Engineer
0 Likes
fpierce Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Server logical address space is running low

One more thing..

After you run the support pack install, make sure you put back all your memory tuning settings, like the -u switch and anything else you did.

Make sure the auto tune is on as well.

FredP Novell Engineer
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Server logical address space is running low

Anything wrong with SP8?

"fpierce" <fpierce@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:fpierce.3mhemr@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> Eric;1721728 Wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> My NetWare 6.5 server was setup back in 12/2005 but I haven't kept up
>> with
>> all the SP's and patches over the years. The only problem(s) I have
>> had
>> since day one was the "Server logical address space running low".
>> After
>> doing some tuning at the time (-u setting and other) , all I had to do
>> was
>> to restart the server every 3-4 months...
>> Nothing has changed with the server except that now I get the warning
>> (+
>> yellow status in health monitor) after less than a month. The only
>> difference is that I started to use a bigger chunk of a volume that I
>> didn't
>> use before (4-5GB).
>>
>> - Would this alone explains that I am running out of logical address
>> space
>> quicker?
>>
>> - I know that I should install the latest service pack (I think SP8),
>> but
>> it's been such a while... Where do I start? I am currently running
>> SP4a
>> along with Zenworks 7.0.0.0 (client version) and Arcserve 11.1.
>>
>> What is the safest route?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Eric

>
> I suggest getting to at least sp7.
> 'NOVELL: Downloads - NetWare 6.5 Support Pack 7'
> (http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=vAIyb4R70b4~)
>
> Copy the file to the server and extract it.
> next, go into nwconfig, product options, install products not listed.
> point it to where the support pack is and let it do its thing.
>
> Its pretty straight forward. You will need to reboot when you are
> finished.
>
> good luck.
>
>
> --
> FredP
> Novell Engineer
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> fpierce's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=37767
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=357910
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Server logical address space is running low

I was under the impression that I didn't need those settings anymore after
applying the latest SP.


"fpierce" <fpierce@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:fpierce.3mhems@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
>
> One more thing..
>
> After you run the support pack install, make sure you put back all your
> memory tuning settings, like the -u switch and anything else you did.
>
> Make sure the auto tune is on as well.
>
>
> --
> FredP
> Novell Engineer
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> fpierce's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=37767
> View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=357910
>



0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Server logical address space is running low

Hi,

Eric wrote:
>
> Anything wrong with SP8?


No. But nothing really wrong with SP7 either, that's why he said "at
least SP7". SP7 is ok, SP8 too. It's your pick.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Server logical address space is running low

Hi,

Eric wrote:
>
> I was under the impression that I didn't need those settings anymore after
> applying the latest SP.


I think fpierce meant to revert the settings when he said "put back".

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Server logical address space is running low

I was told to run this after upgrading to SP5 back in 2006:

set Auto Tune Server Memory=on
set File Cache Maximum Size=2147483648
set VM Cache Pool Percentage=80
set VM Cache Pool Maximum Pages Percentage=0
set FS Cache Pool Minimum Pages=1000
set FS Cache Pool Desired Pages=1250
set FS Cache Pool Lots of Pages=1500

Does it still make sense?


"Massimo Rosen" <mrosenno@spamcfc-it.de> wrote in message
news:497A20C8.53644347@spamcfc-it.de...
> Hi,
>
> Eric wrote:
>>
>> I was under the impression that I didn't need those settings anymore
>> after
>> applying the latest SP.

>
> I think fpierce meant to revert the settings when he said "put back".
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> http://www.cfc-it.de



0 Likes
hspeirs Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Server logical address space is running low

Eric,

> I was told to run this after upgrading to SP5 back in 2006:
>
> set Auto Tune Server Memory=on
> set File Cache Maximum Size=2147483648
> set VM Cache Pool Percentage=80
> set VM Cache Pool Maximum Pages Percentage=0
> set FS Cache Pool Minimum Pages=1000
> set FS Cache Pool Desired Pages=1250
> set FS Cache Pool Lots of Pages=1500
>
> Does it still make sense?


Well it makes sense on a server thats had SP8 applied, or any other
server that you want to reset back to default settings after tuning with
Memcalc.

H.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Server logical address space is running low

Hamish,

I had to create at the time a nssstart.cfg, with the content:

/MinBuffercacheSize=131272
/cachebalance=70

Should I remove this too?

Is it possible that I am running out of logical address space quicker
because more of the volume is used?

Thank you.


Eric



"Hamish" <hamish@haitch.net> wrote in message
news:W_pel.3176$5N1.1730@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> Eric,
>
>> I was told to run this after upgrading to SP5 back in 2006:
>>
>> set Auto Tune Server Memory=on
>> set File Cache Maximum Size=2147483648
>> set VM Cache Pool Percentage=80
>> set VM Cache Pool Maximum Pages Percentage=0
>> set FS Cache Pool Minimum Pages=1000
>> set FS Cache Pool Desired Pages=1250
>> set FS Cache Pool Lots of Pages=1500
>>
>> Does it still make sense?

>
> Well it makes sense on a server thats had SP8 applied, or any other server
> that you want to reset back to default settings after tuning with Memcalc.
>
> H.



0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Server logical address space is running low

Eric,
> Is it possible that I am running out of logical address space quicker
> because more of the volume is used?
>

Is the volume NSS of TFS? Have you checked with seg.nlm what eats memory?

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Server logical address space is running low

I have 1 TFS and 2 NSS volumes but the volume in question is NSS.
No I didn't check seg.nlm yet.

"Anders Gustafsson" <AndersG@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
news:VA.00003a79.03450e70@no-mx.forums.novell.com...
> Eric,
>> Is it possible that I am running out of logical address space quicker
>> because more of the volume is used?
>>

> Is the volume NSS of TFS? Have you checked with seg.nlm what eats memory?
>
> - Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
> The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
>
> Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com
>
> Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
> Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
> http://support.novell.com/enhancement
>



0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Server logical address space is running low

Eric,
> I have 1 TFS and 2 NSS volumes but the volume in question is NSS.
> No I didn't check seg.nlm yet.


OK. NSS volumes should have little of no impact on memory use.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
Enhancement requests for all Novell products may be made at
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Server logical address space is running low

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:48:33 +0000, Eric wrote:

> My NetWare 6.5 server was setup back in 12/2005 but I haven't kept up
> with all the SP's and patches over the years.


Then you're wasting your time troubleshooting this, or trying to do
anything else about it. There are nasty memory leaks in the version
you're running, which have been fixed. Install the latest SP, remove any
memory tuning previously done, and things should be a lot better for you.

> - I know that I should install the latest service pack (I think SP8),
> but it's been such a while... Where do I start?


Download and install SP8. Service Packs are cumulative, so you just need
to install the latest.


--
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://forums.novell.com

Please post questions in the newsgroups. No support provided via email.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.