Highlighted
New Member.

Setting specific rights to a directory

I am trying to set specific rights to a directory and I cannot seem to get it like I want it. Here is the directory structure:

DIRECTORY-A
|
|_ DIRECTORY-B
|
|_ directory-1
|
|_ directory-2 (problem directory)

The user group has RF rights to DIRECTORY-A. That same group has RWCEMF to DIRECTORY-B and that seems to be working fine(also I have all checked in the Inheritance filter except Access control). What I am trying to do is allow the group to have all rights to directory-1 and all EXCEPT delete from directory-2. I want multiple users to be able to add, rename, delete and move files in directory-1 - so the rights are RWCEMF and that appears to work fine (also I have all checked in the Inheritance filter except Access control). My delimma is trying to get the users to be able have access to directory-2 like this the rights are RWCEMF (I have all checked in the Inheritance filter except Erase & Access Control). I want them to be able to move files into there and name them as they want. But once there, I do not want them to be able to delete from there. If I remove the Erase access right the users are blocked from saving files in the directory - which makes no sense to me. So I want the user to be able to dump things in there and once a file is there, they cannot remove the file or change the contents. Is there some combination of rights to get to this functionality?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If I remove the Erase access right the users are blocked from saving files in the directory - which makes no sense to me.

Are these MS Office files, by any chance? If so that's probably the problem - when Office saves a file it does a complex temp file-delete-rename dance , and you're probably tripping over that.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

No, it is actually a program that saves an audio file from our phone system. I tested it saving something there just from My Documents folder and it seems to respect the rights as setup. I have not tried saving something from Word for instance.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.