Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Setting up SLP properties on all of our novell clients

Hi there,

We would like to set up slp settings for our Novell clients. We have a lot of multicast traffic in our
network and we have a DA server, we would like to point
this DA server on all the clients. Im wondering if there is any way different than introducing this server
in the client for each pc, this could be a nightmare, we have about 300 computers.

Is there any way to distribute this change via reg key or something like that? We are using Windows 7
without Zenworks ZCM (we have one server but in testing right now)

Any suggestion would be welcome!

thank you so much
Labels (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi

DHCP??? Just a thought/suggestion.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

laurabuckley;2293222 wrote:
Hi

DHCP??? Just a thought/suggestion.

Cheers,

Umm DHCP? Im afraid I dont understand you. Iam using static ip addresses on all my network. How
can it helps, using dhcp to adjust this setting?

Thank you so much.

Antonio.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Antonio,

If you are not running DHCP on your network, then my suggestion will not help you - sorry!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

antoniogutierrez;2293251 wrote:
Umm DHCP? Im afraid I dont understand you. Iam using static ip addresses on all my network. How
can it helps, using dhcp to adjust this setting?

Thank you so much.

Antonio.

well, that actually depends on the client OS. XP and older can (when configured properly) retrieve SLP configurations via DHCP even with an otherwise static offset. for the dilly-dally systems (vista and higher) there are no corresponding kernellevel drivers in the client, so as Laura mentioned DHCP won't be an option here. in this case thanks to Earle all the reg-settings along with a link to a corresponding adm file can be found here...

https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/novell-client-2-sp3-windows-registry-settings/
If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Run a registry import from the Login Script.

All depends on the setup as you are not running zenworks.

you will most likely need to disable UAC or find a way to elevate permisions....If users are standard users no rights to the registry this will be a bit more difficult....

Regini
or
regedit

Regedit /s \\ip_path\SLP_Update.reg

If you want to run a delete on the keys prior then importing them fresh...should be able to do it from the same .reg file....just put the deletes at the top of the order...

####################
Windows 7
####################
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Client\Policies\Network\IP\Address Resolution Providers\OpenSLP\Parameters\Directory Agent]
"0"="IP_ADDRESS_HERE"
"1"=-
"2"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Client\Policies\Network\IP\Address Resolution Providers\OpenSLP\Parameters\Scope]
"0"="SLP-DA-Scope"
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.