Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Short term memory allocator is out of memory... 55 attempts failed..request size 16384 - PORTAL.NLM

Hi, I have seen many posts of short term memory allocator issues but I am not sure ho to proceed with this one as we use the portal for managing and downloading files on machines that can't run the client. (long story.)

Short term memory allocator is out of memory.
55 attempts to get more memory failed.
request size in bytes is 16384 from Module portal.nlm

This is NW 6.5 SP8. I have restarted the server to clear the errors but we have never had memory issues on any netware server..and only run the basic installed nlms out of the box. (cardinal rule!)

Thanks for any suggestions!

0 Likes
20 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Sorry, I don't know how to evaluate that on the server. I have long forgotten how to check the eDir stuff! Can you remind me please? Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

View Log File: "SYS:SYSTEM\DSREPAIR.LOG"  (809)                 

/****************************************************************************/ 
 NetWare 1602.00 Directory Services Repair 20215.03, DS 20217.07                
 Log file for server ".PNPC_NW65.pnpc_nw65" in tree "PNPC_TREE"                 
 Time synchronization and server status information                             
 Start:  Friday, September 4, 2020   3:01:04 pm Local Time                      

---------------------------+---------+---------+-----------+--------+-------   
                             DS.NLM    Replica   Time        Time is     Time   
 Server name                 Version   Depth     Source      in sync      +/-   
 .PNPC_NW65.pnpc_nw65        20217.07    0       Single      Yes            0   

*** END ***                           
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

View Log File (Last Entry): "SYS:SYSTEM\DSREPAIR.LOG"  (1337)          

/****************************************************************************/ 
 NetWare 1602.00 Directory Services Repair 20215.03, DS 20217.07                
 Log file for server ".PNPC_NW65.pnpc_nw65" in tree "PNPC_TREE"                 
 Start:  Friday, September 4, 2020   3:59:32 pm Local Time                      
 Retrieve replica status                                                        

Partition: .[Root].                                                            
   Replica: .PNPC_NW65.pnpc_nw65             9-04-2020 15:53:43                 
 All servers synchronized up to time:          9-04-2020 15:53:43               

Finish:  Friday, September 4, 2020   3:59:33 pm Local Time                     

*** END ***                                    
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Did you run a repair on the objects?  I have had to do that in the past when I was getting strange memory allocation errors with Portal.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Extract the attachment and copy the resulting seg.nlm to sys:\system. Load seg.nlm from the console, type

/

go to "Info" and select "Write segstats.txt". Post the resulting file and leave seg.nlm running.

If you like it: like it.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks Segstats.txt is attached below. These were the latest errors in the logs.. Thank you!!

9-17-2020 10:45:32 am: SERVER-5.70-0
Severity = 5 Locus = 1 Class = 1
127952 attempts to get more memory failed.
request size in bytes 1048576 from Module SERVER.NLM

9-17-2020 10:46:12 am: SERVER-5.70-0
Severity = 5 Locus = 19 Class = 2
Cache memory allocator out of available memory.

9-17-2020 10:46:13 am: SERVER-5.70-3707
Severity = 3 Locus = 17 Class = 21
Server logical address space is running low. Increase the available logical space by restarting the server with the -u671252480 switch

9-17-2020 10:46:13 am: SERVER-5.70-3729
Severity = 0 Locus = 17 Class = 21
Server logical address space is running low. Increase the available logical space by setting File Cache Maximum Size to 1073741824.

9-17-2020 10:46:32 am: SERVER-5.70-0
Severity = 5 Locus = 1 Class = 1
131107 attempts to get more memory failed.
request size in bytes 1048576 from Module SERVER.NLM

9-17-2020 10:47:12 am: SERVER-5.70-3707
Severity = 3 Locus = 17 Class = 21
Server logical address space is running low. Increase the available logical space by restarting the server with the -u671252480 switch

9-17-2020 10:47:12 am: SERVER-5.70-3729
Severity = 0 Locus = 17 Class = 21
Server logical address space is running low. Increase the available logical space by setting File Cache Maximum Size to 1073741824.

9-17-2020 10:47:15 am: SERVER-5.70-0
Severity = 5 Locus = 19 Class = 2
Cache memory allocator out of available memory.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Well, nile.nlm is clearly leaking memory, it should never ever allocate 1.4GB. If you look at the resource tag screen in monitor ("loaded modules" -> "nile.nlm"), which one is the top consumer (likely "nile ssl alloc tag")?

If so, i'd guess the issue is that nile doesn't clean up SSL connections properly. Unfortunately there's not too much we could do about that nowadays. I'd try to apply the most recent IP modules which can be found here

https://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=v2klZRn5pmI~

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

What you (provided my assumptions apply) CAN do, of course, is accessing portal via plain http on port 8008. Given that you're using a brilliant but unsupported OS anyway that might be ok for you.

In autoexec.ncf you'll find a line like

load httpstk.nlm /ssl /keyfile:"name of a certificate"

If you comment this and add a

load httpstk.nlm /reset

instead, you can access the portal via plain http on port 8008 after bouncing the box.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.