Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Simple NTP source question

We have had some issues with our network time, which I tracked down to a closed port on an external firewall. However, in tracking this down, a question came up. We have four sources in our NTP config, including the "undisciplined local clock." Since the local clock on a computer is never really accurate, I expect it to drift after a while. Do I really want that as one of my sources? Should I delete it? CAN I delete it?

Phil
Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

from my experience yes it's safe to delete, the only case where i had issues with removing it was when the external time source was found to be unreliable

if you have 3 sources that are external (make sure they are physical devices not virtual) then you should be good to remote the local clock, i've always made sure I remove it on any boxes I set up especially if they are virtual

tl;dr - remove it (or comment it out from the config file), it won't break anything

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

It is probably worth noting that the local clock is forced to be stratum
10, which means it is not likely to ever be used UNLESS nothing else can
be used. Leaving it should not hurt and may keep ntp services from
unnecessarily complaining when bigger problems are happening (like a lack
of network connection to any other sources, which is something you'll
hopefully notice since it probably means a cable fell out of your computer
or your ISP's switch).

Good luck.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.