SJFast911 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Slow/Long File Deletion Times

Hello,

We recently migrated user's home directories/files from a Netware 6.5.7 server to a Sles10sp1/OES2 server running NSS. Some of these users have indicated that it takes an extremely long time to delete their files and in some cases the files do not get deleted at all. File moves and copies are working properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Scott
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Brunold Rainer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Slow/Long File Deletion Times

Scott,

is there a virus scanner on that server ?
Disable it and try again.

I would also check locally on the server with root if it takes so long to delete the files.

Rainer
0 Likes
SJFast911 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It turned out to be a workstation issue. Not exactly sure what it was as the desktop group fixed and I think they just reimaged the pc.

Thanks
Scott
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Scott,

good to hear that ... so you do not seem to be in the client group ?

Rainer
0 Likes
solomin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Set parameter KEEP_NSS_FILE_DELETOR_IDS to 0 in ncpserv.conf - it helps to me in similar situation.
(Novell Documentation)
As i understand, these happend with incorrectly settings of LUM sevices.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I posted a comment on that oes documentation page and got the reply that they will add this description to that SET parameter:

This option is for retaining the deletor ID when a file is deleted on NSS volumes.

NCP notifies NSS to provide the identity of the user who initiated the delete. This information is then retained by NSS and available when the file is salvaged, assuming that the Salvage attribute is enabled for the NSS volume when the file is deleted and salvaged.

Rainer
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.