Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Slow Performance During Folder Selection in Miggui

I am trying to migrate some 30,000 folders from an NSS volume on NW 6.5 SP5 server to an NSS volume on a server running OES2 SP3 on SLES 10 SP4.

Using the miggui from the OES server, I can authenticate to both servers, and select File System as the service to be migrated. Both servers show up in the list and I can expand the folders and select what I want to migrate. Now here's where I'm getting stuck: I select a subset (say 1,000 folders) and drag them to the destination. Once I let go the mouse, it sits there for hours. If I look at the target destination, a folder appears once every few minutes. What did I forget to turn on/configure in order to get this to speed up???

I saw a message that said to increase the cache values for the TSA on the source. I tried that and it didn't help. However, I'm assuming that the TSA only gets used when you actually migrate the data and not during the pre-copy checks.

Any help is appreciated!

Mario
Laurentian University
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the target server does not have a replica yet. Would that make a difference??? We've had problem with our tree when adding/removing replicas and I'm a bit nervous making some changes. However, if I have to, I'll add a replica.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

$(UI tried with 10k folders drag-drop on the target and it took approximately 20 minutes to show it on the Target Server folder tree. I haven't tried it with 30k folders yet.

All you have to do is select the folder range on the source server and drop exactly on the target volume/folder. You can tailf /var/opt/novell/migration/<my_project>/log/debug.log and notice the messages like:
'<time_stamp> DEBUG - Path of folder selected /NSS Volumes/VOL1', running for every folder created on target.

If you see message in debug.log as 'Drag and drop in progress: java.awt.dnd.InvalidDnDOperationException: Drag and drop in progress', means either the drop on the target is not accurate or off the tree.

-Ramesh

>>> Gingrasm<Gingrasm@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 11/16/2011 10:36 PM >>>

I am trying to migrate some 30,000 folders from an NSS volume on NW 6.5
SP5 server to an NSS volume on a server running OES2 SP3 on SLES 10
SP4.

Using the miggui from the OES server, I can authenticate to both
servers, and select File System as the service to be migrated. Both
servers show up in the list and I can expand the folders and select what
I want to migrate. Now here's where I'm getting stuck: I select a
subset (say 1,000 folders) and drag them to the destination. Once I let
go the mouse, it sits there for hours. If I look at the target
destination, a folder appears once every few minutes. What did I forget
to turn on/configure in order to get this to speed up???

I saw a message that said to increase the cache values for the TSA on
the source. I tried that and it didn't help. However, I'm assuming
that the TSA only gets used when you actually migrate the data and not
during the pre-copy checks.

Any help is appreciated!

Mario
Laurentian University

--
Gingrasm
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gingrasm's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=14183
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=448307

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.