Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
petrus_kl Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Slow Windows file share access with vista/7

Hi,

All of our Vista/7 machines with Novel Client 2 SP 1 experience delay when accessing Windows file servers. Delay is between 10-20 sec for the first time, after that it works ok.
I don't know what our Novell servers are, but I'm thinking it's irrelevant since this occurs wheter I'm logged to Novell or not.

I'm aware of the BadServers registry key for 4.91 clients, but with the newer client I can't find the same value (NetwareWorkstation) under HKLM\System\currentcontrolset\services\

So how can this be fixed with the new Novell Client 2 when running vista or 7?

Thanks,
Petrus
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Vaxman2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Slow Windows file share access with vista/7

I recently removed the setting of all name services except DNS from the Novell (i.e. removed SLP and NCP) client and we saw a massive speed increase. We were having a 10 second delay in connecting to our Windows mappings during the login script, but since the change it flys by so fast you can miss it easy..

I too used the BadServer setting with the old 4.91 client. What was interesting was I went back and changed our 4.91 to only use DNS and it sped it up too!
0 Likes
chfritsche Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Slow Windows file share access with vista/7

I have the same Problem. OS: Windows 7 64bit with Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows 7
I have tried to disable SLP, NCP and DHCP (exept DNS) in Novell Client Settings under Name-Services. After a reboot of the Workstation i can't login to the Network (Tree or Server not found) --> all Netware/OES and Windows-Servers are registered in DNS.

I tried to disable DNS and DHCP and leave SLP and NCP enabled. After a reboot i can Login to the Network and the Windows Drives are mapped very fast (1-2 sec). File Access to Windows Share are very fast.

Anyone else can confirm this?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.