UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Slow in Indexing/Accessing Dbf files from Server under Win7

"Clipper Application under Windows 7 Workstation, running Novell Client for Windows 7 performing Slow in Indexing / Accessing Dbf files from the Novell Server Netware 5"

Dear Group:

My Clipper Applications runs on a network. The EXE is located in each client's system and executed from there. The Dbf files are located on a shared drive of a Novell Server. The setup is:

Client side (20-25 users): Have Windows XP and Windows 98(a couple of them...) systems.

Server: Novell Server Netware5 running on Pentium PIII (yes PIII). This version of Novell Server perhaps won't run on modern configurations.

Network: All systems connected to the novell server netware5 via LAN setup.

The Issue:
There's no issue with the WinXP workstations, but the new WIN7 WORKSTATIONS having Novell Client 2 SP1 are performing very slow while accessing dbfs and index files from the Novell Server Netware 5.

I had a go for "Windows HotFix" solution as provided by the Novell:

Support | Slow performance when browsing directories and copying files residing on a server

I did all the things as mentioned in the above link. But for me the STATUS remains same .."SLOW ACCESS".

The same setup runs fine under WinXP/Win98 workstations. If this issue can be resolved, then more Win7 workstations could be introduced in our Novell Network setup.

I've been re-directed here by a member of Google's group comp.lang.clipper. Hope I'm on the right place to request for a solution to this issue. Please note as per the discussion I had on the Clipper forum, one of the member is facing same issue even with the higher ver. SP2 , i.e. Novell Client 2 SP2.

Thanks & Regards,
Swapan Das
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

swapan,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://www.novell.com/support and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Did you open a case with Support. I am having a similar problem with a client the runs an old dabase application. Go proformance on xp painfully slow on win7. I am at the point that we will be replacing the novell server totally with windows. I have opened support calls with Novell support they give me a patch that is not published to fix a know issue with file cache (op loc) issue for a client that has been out for how many years now. This is my last novell customer. It has been fun while it lasted but this is crazy.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.