Highlighted
bsvorinic Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Split-horizon DNS server

Hi,

is it possible to use novell-named on OES 2 Linux to create split-horizon DNS server? Something like this: Two-in-one DNS server with BIND9 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials. What I want to achieve is "to resolve to internal IPs when you are inside and external IPs when you are outside".

We have some services (web applications, Groupwise messenger etc.) which can be accessed from the LAN using private addresses and which are also visible from the public network (Internet).

Currently we have Netware 6.5 with DNS Proxy binded to internal address and some hostnames bound to internal IP addresses inside hosts file (and therefore resolved by DNS Proxy with private addresses for LAN clients) and named bound to public IP and serving DNS requests from public network. But we'd like to migrate everything from Netware to OES 2 Linux.

Any help is much appreciated!

Bruno
Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
joharmon Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Split-horizon DNS server

What you are describing is called "views" under DNS. The answer is that the open-dns will allow you to do this, but I believe that NetWare and OES DNS does not allow you to do this. You would have to pull off the OES DNS, install the open DNS, and configure it manually. I haven't checked OES 2 SP 3 to see if the functionality has been added, but it wasn't possible (that I know of) under OES 2 SP 2
0 Likes
joharmon Absent Member.
Absent Member.

0 Likes
bsvorinic Absent Member.
Absent Member.

joharmon;2132944 wrote:
Just found this:

Is Views for DNS Supported or Possible on NetWare or OES?

Bad news but thanks for your answer!

Bruno
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.