Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
bendeichp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Start Directory PureFTPD

Hi Forum,

is it possible to define a start directory at server level like it's possible in most FTP Clients?
I mean a different directory than "DefaultHomeDirectory" from the pure-ftpd.conf.

For example the DefaultHomeDirectory is /media/nss/VOL01 but users log in to pureftpd start in /media/nss/VOL01/home/user. (Like it has been on the old netware ftp server)
I found nothing so far, but maybe I'm missing something, thanks in advance 🙂

Cheers,
Pascal

"Have you tried turn it off and on again?"
Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Reply
bendeichp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Start Directory PureFTPD

Hi Forum,

it seems PureFTPD has a feature which allows to "chdir" after the login.
You have to edit the HomeDirectory string (important: the home of the UNIX tab!) for that, like described in the documentation:
mimi:x:501:100:Mimi:/home/mimi/./public_html:/bin/zsh

When Mimi will log in, two things will happen:
- chroot("/home/mimi") so that Mimi can't see anything but her home directory.
- chdir("public_html") so the session will start in the public_html
directory. "cd .." is still allowed, though.
That "url-style" handling is especially handy for FTP-only users (ie.
without shell access) .

If a user is chrooted with the /./ trick *and* belongs to the trusted group
(-a) he *will* be chrooted, but he will have no ratio and will be allowed to
access dot files.

After setting this and refreshing the nam cache with "namconfig cache_refresh", the user looks like that:

getent passwd test2
test2:x:665:617::/media/nss/VOL02/./home/test2:/bin/bash

Also you have to activate "DefaultHomeDirectoryServer" in the pureftpd.conf, to actually use the home directory set in the linux tab.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. I guess the edir/lum integration does not understand this syntax. In the PureFTP Log you get this:
Jun 18 15:34:10 oes1 pure-ftpd: (?@1.1.1.1) [7335] [ERROR] Failed to get FDN of the user "test2" from UID <665>, error: 2

I will appreciate any hints, If someone has more success 🙂

Cheers,
Pascal

"Have you tried turn it off and on again?"
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.