UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Startup issues with new install

Greetings,

We recently migrated our netware groupwise server to an OES2SP3 server. Everything appeared to go well until I had to do a restart recently. I am getting an error message pop up after login that "novfs" is not installed in the kernel as a module. NSS does not come up and neither does groupwise. NSS complains about not having a config file which it did have. To resolve this manually I have to start up "novfsd" manually. Then startup LUM (namcd), where I had to recreate the certificate. And finally NSS will startup as well as groupwise. I am wondering if anyone ran into any issues like this or aware of any patches that might need to be applied. I really prefer not to do a reinstall as this is our working groupwise system and don't need more down time.

Thank you,
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Have you recently patched the server by any chance? There was/were some issues with SP2 to SP3 migrations/upgrades where the various novfs kernels wouldn't install.

Are you fully patched?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I installed this at SP3 level. Did not install latest patches as I did not see any related to kernel or storage. I should probably still do the updates.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Yes, definitely as there are/were a ton of kernel updates, etc.

I just vaguely remember some problems with the novfs stuff that were fixed later.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I did the patch update and also turned off the "run_parallel" option in /etc/sysconfig/boot which is recommended for eDirectory startup problems. It came up fine witht the last boot. I am still getting the "novfs did not install properly in the kernel" but this appears to be related to the novell-client that is also installed. I may remove that.
Thanks for your help.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.