Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
MarkHofland Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Strange directory behaviour on NSS volume OES11 SP1

Hi All,

A couple of months ago we installed an OES11 SP1 server with an NSS volume (VOL1:) for all our installation files.
In the root of the VOL1: volume, we created a directory named _Install (yes, underscore)
In this directory we created a lot of subdirectories with installation files for several applications, to keep things short, let's say DIR-A, DIR-B, DIR-C DIR-D DIR-E etc.
So if we opened VOL1:, we just saw the _Install direcory in the root of VOL1:, and if we opened the _Install directory, we saw the DIR-A, DIR-B etc.

But today, we opened the VOL1:, saw, the _Install directory, but also the DIR-A, DIR-B, DIR-C etc. in the folowing manner:

_Install (normal)

_Install\DIR-A
_Install\DIR-B
_Install\DIR-C

etc.

If we doubleclick on one of the directories in the root of VOL1:, we actually open the directory below the _Install directory. It's just like we have a kind of symbolic links, or shortcut's to the real directories in our root.

Never seen this before.

Anybody a clue for this?

regards,

Mark
Labels (2)
0 Likes
14 Replies
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Strange directory behaviour on NSS volume OES11 SP1

"Opening the directory" using what tool? Using Client32 or CIFS or ?

-- eDirectory Rules! Peter www.DreamLAN.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

Hi,

Just with a Windows XP sp3 workstation with the Novell 32 bits client installed.

Regards,

Mark
0 Likes
Absent Member.

And the strang thing is, If I open iManager on the server and browse to the VOL1: volume, I just see the _Install directory in the root, and no other entries.

Hmmmm, strange

regards,

Mark
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 29/10/2013 14:46, MarkHofland wrote:

> A couple of months ago we installed an OES11 SP1 server with an NSS
> volume (VOL1:) for all our installation files.
> In the root of the VOL1: volume, we created a directory named _Install
> (yes, underscore)
> In this directory we created a lot of subdirectories with installation
> files for several applications, to keep things short, let's say DIR-A,
> DIR-B, DIR-C DIR-D DIR-E etc.
> So if we opened VOL1:, we just saw the _Install direcory in the root of
> VOL1:, and if we opened the _Install directory, we saw the DIR-A, DIR-B
> etc.
>
> But today, we opened the VOL1:, saw, the _Install directory, but also
> the DIR-A, DIR-B, DIR-C etc. in the folowing manner:
>
> _Install (normal)
>
> _Install\DIR-A
> _Install\DIR-B
> _Install\DIR-C
>
> etc.
>
> If we doubleclick on one of the directories in the root of VOL1:, we
> actually open the directory below the _Install directory. It's just like
> we have a kind of symbolic links, or shortcut's to the real directories
> in our root.
>
> Never seen this before.
>
> Anybody a clue for this?

Having seen your other replies, you're opening VOL1: in Windows Explorer?

What do you see if you do a DIR from a Command Prompt window?

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Yes I opened the VOL1 in Windows Explorer. Just created an I root mapping to VOL1, opened a DOS box, went to I, and the same result. I see the _Install directory, and all subdirs (with _Install\) before them in the root.

And I don't see them in iManager. I also went to the server with Putty. Went to the media/nss/VOL1, and I don't see them there also.

Regards,

Mark
0 Likes
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This suggests what you're seeing is somehow workstation "related," i.e. the extra folders don't physically exist on the server as iManager is server-centric.

What if you map a UNC drive and do you see the same extra folders? Just trying to see if C32 is part of the equation.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

I opened the VOL1 in Windows Explorer. Just created an I root mapping to VOL1, opened a DOS box, went to I, and the same result. I see the _Install directory, and all subdirs (with _Install\) before them in the root.

And I don't see them in iManager. I also went to the server with Putty. Went to the media/nss/VOL1, and I don't see them there also.

Regards,

Mark
0 Likes
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you can, I'd like to propose what may seem like a pointless and drastic try: reboot the server!

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Peter, we rebooted the server, and guess, the directories are gone! But still, the question, what could be wrong? If it's not server specific, because we did not see those directories in iManager, it should be client or workstation specific. But after rebooting the server, the directories are gone, so, server specific? Strange.

regards,

Mark
0 Likes
shesser Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Sometime I have issues were the WS's are always logged in with drives mapped. I'll patch and restart the server and the machines will see empty directories or weird files and stuff like that. I have them do a simple reboot of the WS which fixes the issue. I think the NWclient tries to auto reconnect but with the OES/Linux server, it doesn't always seem to quite get it right like in the netware days.

But your thing sounds backward to what I see. Are the workstations rebooted every once in a while?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi shesser,

Sometimes we reboot a workstation, but not much. However, we did reboot a couple of workstation while we had this problem. But after rebooting some workstations, the strange files where still visible in windows explorer. But after rebooting te server, they where gone.

Regards,

Mark
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello,

we have had similar effects on our file server clusters some months ago.
Migrating the Resources did help. We don't know exactly why.

Regards

Burkhard Wiegand
Novell Admin
Debeka-Versicherungen Koblenz

0 Likes
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I really don't know. However, in the distant past I have seen something similar and rebooting workstations didn't help but restarting server did. Never did get to the bottom of it, but the general thought at the time was there could be some sort of (bad) caching of data going on with the connection information (which is held on the server).

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

MarkHofland;2291286 wrote:
Hi All,

A couple of months ago we installed an OES11 SP1 server with an NSS volume (VOL1:) for all our installation files.
In the root of the VOL1: volume, we created a directory named _Install (yes, underscore)
In this directory we created a lot of subdirectories with installation files for several applications, to keep things short, let's say DIR-A, DIR-B, DIR-C DIR-D DIR-E etc.
So if we opened VOL1:, we just saw the _Install direcory in the root of VOL1:, and if we opened the _Install directory, we saw the DIR-A, DIR-B etc.

But today, we opened the VOL1:, saw, the _Install directory, but also the DIR-A, DIR-B, DIR-C etc. in the folowing manner:

_Install (normal)

_Install\DIR-A
_Install\DIR-B
_Install\DIR-C

etc.

If we doubleclick on one of the directories in the root of VOL1:, we actually open the directory below the _Install directory. It's just like we have a kind of symbolic links, or shortcut's to the real directories in our root.

Never seen this before.

Anybody a clue for this?

regards,

Mark

Yes, I've seen it and so has Niels. By any chance do you have DST enabled on this volume?
In both our cases, rebooting the server, the problem went away (although in my case it came back again a second time). NTS took a while to get me some debug code, but I've not had it happen since.

It seems to be a cosmetic issue, because if you SSH into the server itself and do an "ls" command, the actual file structure is OK, it's just a display problem with NCP somehow.

BTW, ours was on OES2 SP3 with Novell Client 4.91 SP5 on XP.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.