jpeteet
New Member.

Subnet mask question

I have a client who has a Netware 6.0 server patched up with BM 3.6 installed and working. Their internet traffic is slow. I was trying to get where they could FTP a file from a workstation to me (I have BM 3.7 w/ftp server running and other clients use daily). I noticed in poking around I noticed - the LAN side of their server 10.70.173.1/255.0.0.0 and the workstations show as 10.70.173.XXX/255.255.255.0. They complain about slow Internet access and the processer utilization in Monitor stays around 80-90%. Shouldn't the subnet mask of the client be the same as the server? Thanks.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
fgams1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Subnet mask question

The subnet masks should definitely match!

Whomever set that up is....
0 Likes
jpeteet
New Member.

Seems that it is working but just wrong, IMO. The server has the capability of "seeing" a much larger range of the network than the clients....I am guessing that it would not really take any performace hit from this.
0 Likes
Mike021548141 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There would not be a perf hit from this. I've seen this done before in sites where they need to subnet the PC's up (group A can't see group B) for whatever reason. So they gice clients a 24 bit subnet mask and the servers get a 16 bit mask.

Performance
Load monitor.nlm and go to Kernel. Then select busiests threads. Whats working your server so hard?

FTP
Perhaps some info... Tracert, can they ping the ftp host, does http work to the ftp host, routing?

MC

Things should be as simple as possible but no simpler
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.