Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1476 views

Support pack 4a problems

Hello,

Everytime I try to install the support pack it fails with a
message "SERVER.EXE is not in in directory startup". I looked and sure
enough the file is not there. So I downloaded the file two more times
with the same results. Is this a known bug? Has someone else installed
this support pack without this error?

Thanks,
Lou

Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Support pack 4a problems

lhelmer@wwpower.net wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Everytime I try to install the support pack it fails with a
> message "SERVER.EXE is not in in directory startup". I looked and sure
> enough the file is not there. So I downloaded the file two more times
> with the same results. Is this a known bug? Has someone else installed
> this support pack without this error?
>
> Thanks,
> Lou
>


It's Mcafee Viruscan 8.0i It prevents any exe from being written to any
folder called startup.

Try this first, just disable the ondemand scan and re-extract... see if
it works. It never did for me but others say it does. If it doesn't
create that server.exe then do this

Go to your viruscan console, double click access protectionm go to the
file, share, and folder protection tab, and scroll down to "Prevent
access to suspicious startup items (.exe)" Uncheck the box.

Please post back and let me know which one you had to do to make it work.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Support pack 4a problems

Hi Patrick,

I disabled "Prevent access to suspicious startup items (.exe)" and the sp
extracted properly. Thank you very much for your help.

Lou





"Patrick Farrell" <pjf@packereng.com> wrote in message
news:L_C3f.2156$l%3.915@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> lhelmer@wwpower.net wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Everytime I try to install the support pack it fails with a
> > message "SERVER.EXE is not in in directory startup". I looked and sure
> > enough the file is not there. So I downloaded the file two more times
> > with the same results. Is this a known bug? Has someone else installed
> > this support pack without this error?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Lou
> >

>
> It's Mcafee Viruscan 8.0i It prevents any exe from being written to any
> folder called startup.
>
> Try this first, just disable the ondemand scan and re-extract... see if
> it works. It never did for me but others say it does. If it doesn't
> create that server.exe then do this
>
> Go to your viruscan console, double click access protectionm go to the
> file, share, and folder protection tab, and scroll down to "Prevent
> access to suspicious startup items (.exe)" Uncheck the box.
>
> Please post back and let me know which one you had to do to make it work.
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Support pack 4a problems

> Hello,
>
> Everytime I try to install the support pack it fails with a
> message "SERVER.EXE is not in in directory startup". I looked and sure
> enough the file is not there. So I downloaded the file two more times
> with the same results. Is this a known bug? Has someone else installed
> this support pack without this error?
>
> Thanks,
> Lou
>

If you have Mcafee Virus Scan Enterprise version 8i, it will
automatically delete the server.exe file. There is a TID on how to turn
off this feature. Go to Virus Console, Access Protection. Locate the
Files, Share, and Folder Protection. Locate the field that states Prevent
access to suspicious startup items and uncheck this box. Then extract the
SP again and everything should be fine.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Support pack 4a problems

>If you have Mcafee Virus Scan Enterprise version 8i, it will automatically
>delete the server.exe file


Nice feature!
🙂
<fergusonp@greensboroday.org> wrote in message
news:xNR4f.1578$8t.1251@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> Everytime I try to install the support pack it fails with a
>> message "SERVER.EXE is not in in directory startup". I looked and sure
>> enough the file is not there. So I downloaded the file two more times
>> with the same results. Is this a known bug? Has someone else installed
>> this support pack without this error?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lou
>>

> If you have Mcafee Virus Scan Enterprise version 8i, it will
> automatically delete the server.exe file. There is a TID on how to turn
> off this feature. Go to Virus Console, Access Protection. Locate the
> Files, Share, and Folder Protection. Locate the field that states Prevent
> access to suspicious startup items and uncheck this box. Then extract the
> SP again and everything should be fine.



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Support pack 4a problems

Graham Prentice wrote:
>>If you have Mcafee Virus Scan Enterprise version 8i, it will automatically
>>delete the server.exe file

>
>
> Nice feature!
> 🙂


Well it's one of the "protection" rules. It's like spam blocking per say.

What it says is there is really no good reason anything should copy a
..exe file into your startup folder. Everything in there should be
shortcuts, so it deletes them.. Unfortunately the rule is poorly written.

The rule reads **\startup\**\*.exe

It would be better if they made it

**\start menu\Programs\Startup\*.exe

But that's just my opinion. I turn off everything in that section.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Support pack 4a problems

Patrick,

Patrick Farrell wrote:
> Unfortunately the rule is poorly written.


That's the understatement of the year. <g>

>
> The rule reads **\startup\**\*.exe
>
> It would be better if they made it
>
> **\start menu\Programs\Startup\*.exe


Only slightly better, but still completely unacceptable. There are other
languages than english in the world....

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Support pack 4a problems

Massimo Rosen wrote:

>
> Only slightly better, but still completely unacceptable. There are other
> languages than english in the world....
>
> CU,


Yes but I don't know if the rule reads the same if you install Mcafee on
another language computer. I only know what it says on an english one 🙂

I disable all of those on my admin station.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Support pack 4a problems

> > Unfortunately the rule is poorly written.
>
> That's the understatement of the year. <g>
>

Not all software is as perfect as NetWare......


--
Barry Schnur
Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Support pack 4a problems

Barry Schnur wrote:
>>> Unfortunately the rule is poorly written.

>>
>>That's the understatement of the year. <g>
>>

> Not all software is as perfect as NetWare......
>
>


Given the thread this is in, I dunno if you can really say that with a
straight face 🙂
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Support pack 4a problems

> Given the thread this is in, I dunno if you can really say that with a
> straight face 🙂


And to think you thought I did ...

--
Barry Schnur
Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.