Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
2096 views

TID 7016978

reg. https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7016978

this one might better fit in the OES server forums, but..
..does anyone have further information regarding this issue? is it tied to a specific client OS or excel version?

t.i.a.
MB
Labels (1)
0 Likes
13 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: TID 7016978

Mathiasbraun,
> this one might better fit in the OES server forums, but..
> ...does anyone have further information regarding this issue? is it tied
> to a specific client OS or excel version?


That can also be caused by Windows and a packet trace will generally show
whether the WS tries to access the NW/OES server as a windows one first.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: TID 7016978

the reason i ask is rather that i do NOT see this issue. i generally have no traces of MS networking on the clients, but like to know whether it's a sporadic one or not, tied to let's say W7-64 and excel 20xx or a specific setting such as client file caching.
thanks,
mb
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: TID 7016978

There is a bug, 942749

There is a PTF available for that problem, which is confirmed by all
customers that received the PTF. So onless you are in ahurry, just wait
for the next release of the client.



--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: TID 7016978

Anders Gustafsson;2411582 wrote:
There is a bug, 942749

There is a PTF available for that problem, which is confirmed by all
customers that received the PTF. So onless you are in ahurry, just wait
for the next release of the client.



--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms


Anders, it seems like an update to OES and not to the Novell Client.

Thomas
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: TID 7016978

Thsundel,
> Anders, it seems like an update to OES and not to the Novell Client.


Yes, you are right.

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: TID 7016978

thanks, folks. i'd also expect the fix to be in the server's NCP stack. unfortunately the TID is vague, better: it has no public information regarding affected client OS, excel versions or specific settings.
couldn't dupe it so far, but before rolling out the client on thousands of clients in different networks i'd really appreciate some deeper information just to avoid running into known problems.
so if someone has access to the defect, please...

thx,
mb
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: TID 7016978

mathiasbraun;2411645 wrote:
thanks, folks. i'd also expect the fix to be in the server's NCP stack. unfortunately the TID is vague, better: it has no public information regarding affected client OS, excel versions or specific settings.
couldn't dupe it so far, but before rolling out the client on thousands of clients in different networks i'd really appreciate some deeper information just to avoid running into known problems.
so if someone has access to the defect, please...

thx,
mb


Are you running July 2015 maintenance update for OES 11 SP2 or later on your OES server?

Thomas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: TID 7016978

sure. otherwise there wouldn't be support for NCP verbs 87_72 / 87_73 and hence the issue couldn't occur. currently there's client sp3ir10b in production, so it can't happen either.
but with the rollout of sp4ir1 at the gates it would be nice to know if the problem is also tied to a specific client OS, excel version or client setting.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: TID 7016978

mathiasbraun;2411681 wrote:
sure. otherwise there wouldn't be support for NCP verbs 87_72 / 87_73 and hence the issue couldn't occur. currently there's client sp3ir10b in production, so it can't happen either.
but with the rollout of sp4ir1 at the gates it would be nice to know if the problem is also tied to a specific client OS, excel version or client setting.


Sry it doesn't say. If your in a hurry then I would get hold of that PTF through a SR just to be sure.

Thomas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: TID 7016978

i've opened an incident, let's see what happens.
take care,
MB
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Re: TID 7016978

mathiasbraun wrote:

>
> the reason i ask is rather that i do NOT see this issue. i generally
> have no traces of MS networking on the clients, but like to know
> whether it's a sporadic one or not, tied to let's say W7-64 and excel
> 20xx or a specific setting such as client file caching.
> thanks,
> mb


--

No, the issue is not related to a specific Client setting or to a
specific applicaton, but rather is related to the 64-bit NCP APIs
included beginning with Novell Client 2 SP4 for Windows. The
"Additional Information" section of TID 7016266 describes the new NCPs.

This specific issue is not related to the Network Provider order as
suggested earlier, though that can cause delays when accessing network
resources (see TID 7000693).

Thanks,
Earle Wells
Novell Customer Care
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: TID 7016978

thanks. so any 87_72 operation could potentially be affected, including an explorer-triggered file copy from server to client?
0 Likes
rjneilly Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: TID 7016978

Hi,

It also is showing up just doing directory browsing. I have tested the Novell Client for Windows on XP, Win7Pro x64, Win10 Ent x64, SMB clients (Windows, Linux and OSX) against OES2015 and NetWare 6.5sp8. The problem - a directory listing taking 180 seconds and showing no entries - only occurs when both the client and server support the new NCP APIs. If either the client or the server does not have support for the new NCP APIs then there is no problem with directory browsing from Windows Explorer. Interestingly even with the broken setup there is no problem with browsing from the command line. So this might involve Windows Explorer specific features/functions, like some sort of shell extension...

Hopefully this will be resolved soon!

Cheers,

Ron Neilly
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.