NSuttner Absent Member.
Absent Member.

TSATEST - failed to connect Target service

Hi,

i've a strange problem backing up a netware 6.5 SP6 server with Remote Agent for Netware 9.2 installed. Backup software is BackupEXEC 11d on a windows 2000 server. I think the problem isn't the backup software, it's the netware server himself, because i cannot login to the netware filesystem over, for example TSATEST. I get always the error message:

Error code NWSMTSConnectToTargetServiceEx fffdffd7
Error: Failed to Connect Target Service:USername or Password invalid
Disconnected from TSA.

I've three other servers ( in an other container ) were the backup works well ! This is the last installed server with a manually created replica in our second location -> connected over a WAN-line ???

Does anyone has an idea, what can solve this problem ?

Many regards,
Norbert
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: TSATEST - failed to connect Target service

NSuttner wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> i've a strange problem backing up a netware 6.5 SP6 server with Remote
> Agent for Netware 9.2 installed. Backup software is BackupEXEC 11d on
> a windows 2000 server. I think the problem isn't the backup software,
> it's the netware server himself, because i cannot login to the netware
> filesystem over, for example TSATEST. I get always the error message:
>
> Error code NWSMTSConnectToTargetServiceEx fffdffd7
> Error: Failed to Connect Target Service:USername or Password invalid
> Disconnected from TSA.
>
> I've three other servers ( in an other container ) were the backup
> works well ! This is the last installed server with a manually created
> replica in our second location -> connected over a WAN-line ???
>
> Does anyone has an idea, what can solve this problem ?
>
> Many regards,
> Norbert

Have you checked the account you're using in conjunction with TSA? Has
the password changed or the server dropped the information? I'm a TSM
guy so that's all I can think of. I hope that helps.

Andrew

--

0 Likes
NSuttner Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Andrew,

thanks for your answer. What do you mean, when you say, i've to check the account for using with TSA ? Is the TSA account other then i use normally, for example an .admin.xxx ? If yes, how can i change the password and accountname ? When do i create this extra account ? Now, i'am very confused !!!

Can you give me an answer as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Norbert
0 Likes
NSuttner Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

i fix this problem last week, with creating an hosts entry with the servers real ip-address and name. After that, tsatest and backup works fine !

Regards,
Norbert
0 Likes
cparker Absent Member.
Absent Member.

IPX IS THE CULPRIT!

After much trial and error I found that the cause of this issue on a server was IPX. I noticed that TSATEST shows an IPX address as the target address. Though we haven't had IPX on our network for years, IPX was enabled and routing on this server. IPX was NOT bound on any of the NICs. I disabled IPX in INETCFG and rebooted. I found that IPXS.NLM and IPXSPX.NLM were still loading. While these two NLMs were loaded, TSATEST still failed with the same error. I renamed IPXS.NLM in the sys:system directory. IPXSPX.NLM loads from the C:\NWSERVER directory so I had to load DOSFAT.nss to access that file and rename it. Then I rebooted and verified that no IPX modules were loaded (using the "M IPX*" command). Then the TSATEST test worked. I also verified that the Tivoli backup software (DSMC.NLM) was able to login using the "query tsa" command.
0 Likes
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

Or you could go into the smdr config and disable its use of IPX.... or load smdr new to have it walk you through the choices.

-- Bob
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.