Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Tool for detecting existing DFS Junctions in file structure

Hi,

I am currently in the process of migrating our organisations file structure and data from Netware 6.5 over to AD. I have come to the point where I need to find out what existing DFS junctions we currently have floating about in eDirectory. I know where 90% of them are as we always tried to create junctions at the same level in the structure but there are a few that are buried a little deeper. Does anyone know whether their is a way of querying eDirectory or VLDB to find all the existing DFS Junctions?

Thanks in advance,
Neil
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

westy182;2196284 wrote:
Hi,

I am currently in the process of migrating our organisations file structure and data from Netware 6.5 over to AD. I have come to the point where I need to find out what existing DFS junctions we currently have floating about in eDirectory. I know where 90% of them are as we always tried to create junctions at the same level in the structure but there are a few that are buried a little deeper. Does anyone know whether their is a way of querying eDirectory or VLDB to find all the existing DFS Junctions?

Thanks in advance,
Neil

My whodidit program can identify all junction files on a volume - Utilities for Managing Netware & AD by JRB Software

John
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

johnbaird;2196560 wrote:
My whodidit program can identify all junction files on a volume - Utilities for Managing Netware & AD by JRB Software

John

Thanks for the reply John but my company are not going to let me spend any money on a netware tool when we are currently trying to remove the whole netware infrastructure from our business.
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On 17/05/2012 12:56, westy182 wrote:

> Thanks for the reply John but my company are not going to let me spend
> any money on a netware tool when we are currently trying to remove the
> whole netware infrastructure from our business.

I don't use Distributed File Services but after a little reading I
wonder whether you couldn't use ldapsearch to search the Organizations
and Organizational Units in your tree for the DFS-VLDB-Hosts attribute
which I think would identify the DFS Management Contexts and active VLDB
servers.

Once you have that you can then go to each active VLDB server and use
"vldb list" to list VLDB entries.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the reply, we are running Netware and know what servers run the VLDB service. The VLDB list cmd does not return any information. As I understand the junction is a file that is stored on the NSS volume (well thats what it looks like in Console One) and that information is not stored in eDirectory or indeed in the VLDB database. I thought that the only information in the VLDB database are the volume IDs which are scanned for when a repair is done.

Thanks,
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.