Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
899 views

Tree / context Question

Untill I get my support sorted out I have a number of dumb questions.
I have a tree with several organizational units. Within each unit are users
and groups and a template and profile. When I go to Netware Broadcast, I can
only see the groups at the root of the tree, even though I am admin. Is this
normal?

If so, how can I add members to a group within a unit that are NOT members
of the unit. OR, if I have a group in the root which I use for backup or
virus notifications, how do I get some users who belong within Org Units to
be included in the group. I can add them but they don't seem to receive
messages and the broadcast list shows 'error' when a message is sent.

Thanks.


Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Tree / context Question

The send functionality in the Novell client menus is severely crippled
when it comes to groups. In fact, the send to group functionality has
never been made NDS aware and still uses bindery logic. So only groups in
the bindery contexts can be used and only for users that are in the
bindery contexts.
In order to make the groups work the way you want for sending messages,
you should include all your user containers in the bindery context, or
alternately, use a third party NDS aware send utility like this one:

http://www.vypress.com/products/nwsend/

--
Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.17.6.6)
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Tree / context Question

Thanks very much for this.

> The send functionality in the Novell client menus is severely crippled
> when it comes to groups. In fact, the send to group functionality has
> never been made NDS aware and still uses bindery logic. So only groups

in
> the bindery contexts can be used and only for users that are in the
> bindery contexts.
> In order to make the groups work the way you want for sending messages,
> you should include all your user containers in the bindery context, or
> alternately, use a third party NDS aware send utility like this one:
>
> http://www.vypress.com/products/nwsend/
>
> --
> Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.17.6.6)


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Tree / context Question

Thanks for this. Unfortinately it only partly answers my question.

How can I add members to a group within a unit that are NOT members
of the unit. OR, if I have a group in the root which I use for backup or
virus notifications, how do I get some users who belong within Org Units to
be included in the group. I can add them but they don't seem to receive
messages and the broadcast list shows 'error' when a message is sent.

In other words, when I send a broadcast to a group, (Sophos Anti-virus auto
broadcast), will it only go to members who are within the same OU as the
group?
Even if I place me (I have admin privilages and reside in the root), I don't
get messages when I include myself in the group "Virus". The group "Virus"
resides in the Technical_OU just off the root. The program you speak of
(which I have tried) is very good for manual message sending, but is no use
for software packages sending auto broadcasts to pre-defined groups such as
messages for backup jobs (sent by Veritas) or messages about viruses (sent
by Sophos).

Thanks again.


"Marcel Cox" <cimetmc@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:LC7bf.19$_a2.8@janeway.provo.novell.com...
> The send functionality in the Novell client menus is severely crippled
> when it comes to groups. In fact, the send to group functionality has
> never been made NDS aware and still uses bindery logic. So only groups in
> the bindery contexts can be used and only for users that are in the
> bindery contexts.
> In order to make the groups work the way you want for sending messages,
> you should include all your user containers in the bindery context, or
> alternately, use a third party NDS aware send utility like this one:
>
> http://www.vypress.com/products/nwsend/
>
> --
> Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.17.6.6)



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Tree / context Question

PhilAngus wrote:

>Even if I place me (I have admin privilages and reside in the root), I
>don't
>get messages when I include myself in the group "Virus". The group "Virus"
>resides in the Technical_OU just off the root. The program you speak of
>(which I have tried) is very good for manual message sending, but is no use
>for software packages sending auto broadcasts to pre-defined groups such as
>messages for backup jobs (sent by Veritas) or messages about viruses (sent
>by Sophos).


Like I said in my earlier message, you need to include the concerned
groups in the bindery context.


--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Tree / context Question

Thanks Marcel. I think I am getting there! :-))

"Marcel Cox" <cimetmc@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:jpjcf.127$_a2.83@janeway.provo.novell.com...
> PhilAngus wrote:
>
> >Even if I place me (I have admin privilages and reside in the root), I
> >don't
> >get messages when I include myself in the group "Virus". The group

"Virus"
> >resides in the Technical_OU just off the root. The program you speak of
> >(which I have tried) is very good for manual message sending, but is no

use
> >for software packages sending auto broadcasts to pre-defined groups such

as
> >messages for backup jobs (sent by Veritas) or messages about viruses

(sent
> >by Sophos).

>
> Like I said in my earlier message, you need to include the concerned
> groups in the bindery context.
>
>
> --
> Marcel Cox
> http://support.novell.com/forums



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.