UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Trouble with copying files from NetWare 6.5

Good day. I apologize in advance for my bad English. Also I am not sure if I chose the right forum.
I have vm with guest NetWare 6.5 and I know nothing at all about Novell NetWare. It hosts on ESXi 5.0u2 and there is an issue with copying files from it - the speed is about 1-1,5 Mbps (e1000 virtual adapter). There is another vm (Windows 2012 R2) on this host and the speed of copying big files to/from it is about 100 Mbps, so I think there is no problem with host networking. No traffic shaping for any of the virtual port gorups is set. We use standard vSwitch, so there is no Network I/O Control. I have tried to setup VMware Tools (tools was not installed when I saw this vm first time) like it described here, It was more like turning on some module rather than installing Tools, but now vSphere client shows the current state of VMware Tools for this vm. Howerver still no good for copying files. I have tried to copy through FTP rather than SMB (Novell Netware Client) - same speed.
Any idea could help me, please share it if you have one.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hm, the link was not added, sorry
nokogerra;2343369 wrote:
... I have tried to setup VMware Tools (tools was not installed when I saw this vm first time) like it described here, ...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

How are you measuring copy speed?

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for your reply.
Well, nothing special, just windows explorer. It shows 700 - 1400+ kbps.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Nokogerra,
> Well, nothing special, just windows explorer. It shows 700 - 1400+ kbps.

Could be a number of things, can you start by testing the speed of your
disk channel on the virtual 6.5 server?

https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3341011

FWIW.My last remaining 6.5 SP8 server shows 7..7Mb/s in Explorer on
Win8.1. It is a physical server though.

Rest of my servers are all OES, linux based, plus an old 2003 box for some
legacy apps that do not run on Linux. Most are virtual on a mix of VMWare
5.x servers

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.