timatmillikin Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Trustee report for specific user to a specific NSS share

Hello,

This seems like a simple question that should be easy to find but I am having trouble finding the answer. I am looking for a (free) way to find out what file/folder rights a user has on a NSS share. For example, what file and folder rights does jdoe have to NSS_Share.

I know Novell File Reporter can do this but we don't have the funds to do that right now. I've tried ConsoleOne "Rights to Files and Folders" for that specific user but it seems to only show Trustee rights set manually, not inherited. Also I tried Novell Remote Manager "View Trustee Reports" but that seemed a little overkill for what I am looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim
Labels (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Trustee report for specific user to a specific NSS share

timatmillikin;2405912 wrote:
Hello,

This seems like a simple question that should be easy to find but I am having trouble finding the answer. I am looking for a (free) way to find out what file/folder rights a user has on a NSS share. For example, what file and folder rights does jdoe have to NSS_Share.

I know Novell File Reporter can do this but we don't have the funds to do that right now. I've tried ConsoleOne "Rights to Files and Folders" for that specific user but it seems to only show Trustee rights set manually, not inherited. Also I tried Novell Remote Manager "View Trustee Reports" but that seemed a little overkill for what I am looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tim

File Reporter would be the best (you can download a trial version I believe)
Otherwise, you can (assuming this is OES2 or higher) look in the docs for:
metamig

It's a CLI tool that'll scan the volume and generate a file with the trustees. It won't list effective rights, just assigned rights for *that* volume. But if you know the groups that the user is a member of, you can eventually see what rights they have.

If you have lots of volumes/servers, it can be a very painstaking process. Hence the file reporter.
--Kevin
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Kevin, thanks for your response. I'll look at File Reporter again.
0 Likes
HvdHeuvel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 22:06:02 +0000, timatmillikin wrote:

> Kevin, thanks for your response. I'll look at File Reporter again.

Or if you want to keep it simple in the case of a single user, why don´t
you have a look at the NSS rights utility ?

¨man 8 rights¨ for details

🙂

hth
Hans
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks Hans. I actually looked at that tool but wasn't able to get what I was looking for. I could only get it to show directly assigned rights. For example, if there's a folder under the root folder and you run rights show on that sub folder, it would only show the rights specifically assigned to that sub level folder, not the inherited rights from the root folder.

Maybe there's a way to do it but I couldn't figure it out.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.