mhutton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Uninstall NetWare, replace with OES = In-place Upgrade

We have our NetWare servers setup with the OS on separate raid from the data volumes raid. I am having good success uninstalling a NetWare server from the tree, then installing OES back into the tree with the same server name. Then, just mount the Data volumes and all of the Trustee rights are preserved. This is the closest thing I can find to doing an In-place upgrade from NW to OES. Has anyone else tried this and does Novell support it?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Uninstall NetWare, replace with OES = In-place Upgrade

mhutton wrote:

>
> We have our NetWare servers setup with the OS on separate raid from the
> data volumes raid. I am having good success uninstalling a NetWare
> server from the tree, then installing OES back into the tree with the
> same server name. Then, just mount the Data volumes and all of the
> Trustee rights are preserved. This is the closest thing I can find to
> doing an In-place upgrade from NW to OES. Has anyone else tried this
> and does Novell support it?
>
>

Interesting concept. If it works great. I doubt it would be supported
though. Do all the trustee assignments stay intact on the Volume? I would
have thought you would loose them.

0 Likes
mhutton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, all the trustee rights are still on the data volumes.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

We did test this actually in our test lab. What we had done was simply install OES2 on free space on the NetWare server and boot it up and away we went.

However:

It will muck up iPrint and things, and doesn't replace the existing server object correctly.

If you do remove eDir from NetWare and then mount the drive in OES2, the trustees will be there, but your home directory attributes (if you use them), along with any eDir references to the NDS volume object get whacked. So all your ZEN NAL app objects will have empty UNC paths in them along with your user objects for Home Directory.

So we just decided to use the migration utility to avoid having to changes thousands of objects in the tree.
0 Likes
mhutton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

But how do you use the migration utility on a single server?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

mhutton;1866189 wrote:
But how do you use the migration utility on a single server?

You don't.

So we just cart a server to the site, migrate, remove the old one and move on to the next site.

Either way we'd have to visit the site (even for an in-place upgrade). The only downside is that the data takes longer to transfer (especially when you're dealing with 300+ GB of data).

But it was preferable (in our case) to having to manually edit hundreds of eDir objects and hope that we caught all the references to the volumes objects that it deleted.
0 Likes
dschaldedfg Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kjhurni;1866838 wrote:
You don't.

So we just cart a server to the site, migrate, remove the old one and move on to the next site.

Either way we'd have to visit the site (even for an in-place upgrade). The only downside is that the data takes longer to transfer (especially when you're dealing with 300+ GB of data).

But it was preferable (in our case) to having to manually edit hundreds of eDir objects and hope that we caught all the references to the volumes objects that it deleted.

Have you tried to use the Transfer ID option in Migration wizard? We have tried this in testing, and will be using it in a production environment this week.
0 Likes
mhutton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

dschaldedfg;1875545 wrote:
Have you tried to use the Transfer ID option in Migration wizard? We have tried this in testing, and will be using it in a production environment this week.

No, but let us know how that works when you put it into production.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

mhutton;1875554 wrote:
No, but let us know how that works when you put it into production.

Well I have just finished my second testing machine and it worked very smoothly. Did a dsrepair on the NW server before I started, made sure that time was in sync, then started the migration of the data, did another sync when done to make sure that I did not miss any changes, and then started the Transfer ID wizard. It was a straight forward process and when the server came back up, things are working as billed. This Thursday will be the big test with the production environment getting transferred from NW to OES2, will keep you up to date.
0 Likes
mhutton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, it's very interesting to see others results.
It's interesting as well that you're doing the big conversion on the day that M$ 7 is officially released. 🙂
0 Likes
Absent Member.

mhutton;1876215 wrote:
Thanks, it's very interesting to see others results.
It's interesting as well that you're doing the big conversion on the day that M$ 7 is officially released. 🙂

I did not even realize that MS 7 was being released that day 🙂 Not that I was really worried about MS because I have heard some good things about it, but I am going to be moving to SLED 11 once I can get my laptop setup for it. 🙂
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dschaldedfg;1875545 wrote:

Yes, we've done many of them over the last 2-3 months.

As I stated previously, the only downside is that you have to travel to the remote site, plop the new server and transfer the data across the LAN.

Last time it took 10 hours to copy 50 GB of data over a gigabit connection.

We've had numerous issues with the ID Transfer (I was the lucky one to find the bug with the corruption of the stream files after it wrecked our tree practically), along with some other new ones we just found as well with LUM.

Once we got past the major stream files issue (it's been fixed in the channel for maybe a month or so), it's been going smoother.

Just the data copy takes forever (one of the nice things about in-place upgrades). But at least we only have to do this again in 2 years when we replace our hardware as well.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.