Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Universal Password Force Change

Hello,
We have our student body using NDS passwords and are using the Novell Client. When I want them to change passwords, in console1 I can choose the date the password expires and the number of grace logins. I set the date to yesterday and they all get prompted when they log in. It works perfectly.

Now we want to implement Universal password so I understand I should no longer use C1 but iManager because of the way the passwords are handled. In iManager I can see the Password Lifetime, but I do not see a way to force a password change on a certain date.

If I set the Number of days before the password expires, will that force them to change immediately?
What exactly does "Number of days before Password can be changed" do? Why would you not want someone to change their password if they want to?

thanks for any help

Matt
Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.

Re: Universal Password Force Change

Matt,

I think you are working in the password policy and not the Users>Modify User, correct?

You can set an expiration in the Users but not in the policy I believe... but I am a bit new to setting this up too and am still experiencing unexpected results (users being prompted before expiration) that I have not yet determined the cause for...

>>> Matt Schlawin<MSchlawin@FVLHS.ORG> 01/26/2007 4:00 PM >>>

Hello,
We have our student body using NDS passwords and are using the Novell Client. When I want them to change passwords, in console1 I can choose the date the password expires and the number of grace logins. I set the date to yesterday and they all get prompted when they log in. It works perfectly.

Now we want to implement Universal password so I understand I should no longer use C1 but iManager because of the way the passwords are handled. In iManager I can see the Password Lifetime, but I do not see a way to force a password change on a certain date.

If I set the Number of days before the password expires, will that force them to change immediately?
What exactly does "Number of days before Password can be changed" do? Why would you not want someone to change their password if they want to?

thanks for any help

Matt
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Re: Universal Password Force Change

Yes, I am in the password policy and not in Users>Modify. I actually did some reading and I believe it has to be set in the policy.

I don't have a problem for the teachers with a policy that makes them change passwords every 60 days. But for the students, we want them all changing at the same time so we don't have to have a continual parade of password problems.

I do like the new policies much better because you get so much more control, but if you cannot set a time to expire the universal passwords, that would be a step backwards.

Is there a way I could put something in their login scripts to force a password change?

Matt

>>> On 1/29/2007 at 8:59 AM, in message <45BDB788.0EA2.008A.0@mishicot.k12.wi.us>, Brian Mowrer<bmowrer@mishicot.k12.wi.us> wrote:

Matt,

I think you are working in the password policy and not the Users>Modify User, correct?

You can set an expiration in the Users but not in the policy I believe... but I am a bit new to setting this up too and am still experiencing unexpected results (users being prompted before expiration) that I have not yet determined the cause for...

>>> Matt Schlawin<MSchlawin@FVLHS.ORG> 01/26/2007 4:00 PM >>>

Hello,

thanks for any help

Matt
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.