mguldner1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Update instead of patch in the channel?

Currently there is an update in the OES2018-Updates channel - this is an update, not a patch.

zypper lu
Refreshing service 'nu_novell_com'.
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
S | Repository | Name | Current Version | Available Version | Arch
--+-----------------+--------------------+-----------------+-------------------+-------
v | OES2018-Updates | novell-plugin-cifs | 2.4.4-3.9 | 2.4.5-0.7.5 | x86_64

Should we install it? OES documentation says "Do not use the zypper up command by itself without the -t option to update an OES server. Always use the -t patch option" So why is there an non-patch update? Should we ignore it?

Thanks,
Mirko
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Update instead of patch in the channel?

It's just an iManager plugin, i'd strongly doubt it would harm. It wouldn't be "active" anyway, just "available for installation".
0 Likes
mguldner1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I wonder if it would be a problem to generally ignore updates (non-patch) on OES. I have a daily script on all our SLES servers (including OES) that activates a todo-ticket if zypper lu and zypper lr reports something to do. I wonder if its sufficient to monitor zypper lp and remove zypper lu from the script.

I never really understood the reasoning for the difference between updates and patches. For SLES/OES (almost) everything comes as patch, for LEAP its updates. Is it a mistake that novell-plugin-cifs comes as update or is meaningfull?

Thanks,
Mirko
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

It's also part of "Update 7 - OES 2018 - Security 16"
to be found here
https://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=Idy847GV9XI~
Do you have this installed?
mguldner1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, this is installed:

zypper se -i -t patch | grep "Update 7"
i+ | oes2018-2019-16 | Update 7 - OES 2018 - Security | patch
i+ | oes2018-2019-17 | Update 7 - OES 2018 eDirectory 9.1.3 - Mandatory | patch
0 Likes
mguldner1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I checked my logs from the installation of "Update 7" - novell-plugin-cifs is not among the updated packages:

zypper up -t patch --auto-agree-with-licenses
Dienst 'nu_novell_com' wird aktualisiert.
Repository-Daten werden geladen...
Installierte Pakete werden gelesen...
Paketabhängigkeiten werden aufgelöst...

Das folgende NEUE Paket wird installiert:
kernel-default-4.4.121-92.104.1

Die folgenden 4 NEUEN Patches werden installiert:
oes2018-2019-16 oes2018-2019-17 SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP2-2019-439
SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP2-2019-828

Die folgenden 116 Pakete werden aktualisiert:
novell-dclient novell-dclient-32bit novell-eba novell-eba-32bit
novell-edirectory-cefinstrument novell-edirectory-dsi novell-edirectory-dsmerge
novell-edirectory-filesystem novell-edirectory-jclient novell-edirectory-jclnt
novell-edirectory-json novell-edirectory-ldap-extensions novell-edirectory-ldapserver
novell-edirectory-libxerces-c novell-edirectory-log4cxx novell-edirectory-netsnmp
novell-edirectory-objbackup-tool novell-edirectory-openslp novell-edirectory-openssl
novell-edirectory-passstore novell-edirectory-tsands novell-edirectory-tsands-32bit
novell-edirectory-xdasinstrument novell-edirectory-xdaslog novell-edirectory-xdaslog-conf
novell-imanager novell-javaldap novell-kerberos-base novell-kerberos-ldap-extensions
novell-libsal novell-libsal-32bit novell-lum novell-lum-32bit novell-migration
novell-migration-edirectory novell-migration-gui novell-migration-gui-base novell-ncpenc
novell-ncpserv-tools novell-NDSbase novell-NDScommon novell-NDSgams novell-ndsgrepair
novell-NDSimon novell-NDSmasv novell-NDSrepair novell-NDSserv novell-nit novell-nit-libnit
novell-nit-libnit-32bit novell-NLDAPbase novell-NLDAPbase-32bit novell-NLDAPsdk
novell-nmas-client novell-nmas-client-32bit novell-nmas-install novell-nmas-ldap-ext
novell-nmas-ldap-ext-client novell-nmas-server novell-NOVLembox novell-NOVLice
novell-NOVLlmgnt novell-NOVLsnmp novell-NOVLsubag novell-NOVLxis novell-npkiapi
novell-npkiapi-32bit novell-npkit novell-npkit-32bit novell-nss-ncpid
novell-nss-ncpid-32bit novell-ntls novell-ntls-32bit novell-oes-samba
novell-oes-samba-32bit novell-oes-samba-libsmbsharemodes0 novell-oes-samba-libtalloc2
novell-oes-samba-libtdb1 novell-pki-install novell-pkiserver novell-plugin-afp
novell-plugin-backup-restore novell-plugin-base novell-plugin-case-sensitive-password
novell-plugin-dfs novell-plugin-edir-extended novell-plugin-encrypted-attributes
novell-plugin-encrypted-replication novell-plugin-fileman novell-plugin-ice
novell-plugin-indexmanager novell-plugin-instrumentation novell-plugin-kerberos
novell-plugin-ldap novell-plugin-merge novell-plugin-nmas novell-plugin-nss
novell-plugin-pki novell-plugin-priority-sync novell-plugin-pwdmanagement
novell-plugin-repair novell-plugin-rwiz novell-pluginsdk-webservice
novell-plugin-service-manager novell-plugin-sms novell-plugin-snmp
novell-sasl-gssapi-method novell-sms novell-sms-interface-libs
novell-sms-interface-libs-32bit novell-spmclient-lib novell-spmclient-lib-32bit
novell-spmclient-module novell-sss novell-usermanagement-imanager-plugin storage-iman

Die folgenden 4 Patches benötigen einen Systemneustart:
oes2018-2019-16 oes2018-2019-17 SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP2-2019-439
SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP2-2019-828
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Fun I don't have 2018 boxes w/o SP1 available, i can just say that the corresponding stuff installed fine on the SP1 codebase. If there's nothing relevant in /var/log/zypper.log or /var/log/zypp/history regarding novell-plugin-cifs i'm running out of ideas.
As for the plugin itself: i'd strongly doubt it would harm to simply install it, it's just another npm which doesn't get effective at all without implementing (i.e. installing) within iManager itself.
Maybe someone with access to a SP1-less offset could share experiences with the latest plugin build.
0 Likes
mguldner1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Finally I installed the update, just to get rid of the message - nothing bad happened, as far as I can tell...

Thanks!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

...as expected. We've all installed it without issues. Thanks for reporting back.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.