Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Upgrade: SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP3

I recently have task to upgrade my SLES OES server environment. MY firts challenge is:

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP3 Novell Open Enterprise Server SP 3 32bit.

I have come across numerous doc explaining the upgrade process, but some reason i'm trying to get my hand around SLES and OES.

I would like to upgrade to version SLES 11 SP3 with OES SP2.

I would like to hear some recommendation methods to upgrade this server. Could I leapfrog to SLES 11 SP3 with OES SP2? I would not mind using the media CD it looks like is faster.

I'm fairly new to this world.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

First off you can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit - you will have to migrate to a new server.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi,

T0R0M0N;2399997 wrote:
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP3 Novell Open Enterprise Server SP 3 32bit.

As Laura already mentioned, going from 32 to 64bit unfortunately can't be done "in place".

Do you know which services the OES server currently runs that will need to be upgraded tot OES11?

Knowing more details about what's running, how much data needs to be moved, how clients connect (Novell client only, or also via Samba or CIFS for example), etc... would be good.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On 13/07/2015 05:46, T0R0M0N wrote:

> I recently have task to upgrade my SLES OES server environment. MY firts
> challenge is:
>
>
> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP3 Novell Open Enterprise Server SP 3
> 32bit.

Based on the above I think you have 32-bit OES2 SP3 on SLES10 SP3, a
valid combination at the time although you should really have upgraded
to OES2 SP3 on SLES10 SP4, but please could you post the output from
"cat /etc/*release" to confirm.

> I have come across numerous doc explaining the upgrade process, but some
> reason i'm trying to get my hand around SLES and OES.
>
> I would like to upgrade to version SLES 11 SP3 with OES SP2.

Whilst both Laura and Willem have said that you can't upgrade from 32-
to 64-bit you may not understand why they've said that - it's because
OES11 is 64-bit only so the only option to get from 32-bit OES2 to
64-bit OES11 is migration.

> I would like to hear some recommendation methods to upgrade this
> server. Could I leapfrog to SLES 11 SP3 with OES SP2? I would not mind
> using the media CD it looks like is faster.

If you could let us know more about what the server hardware is and what
the server is used for then we can advise a course of action.

> I'm fairly new to this world.

Don't worry about that, we were all new once.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you. It feel good when come across people that willing to help.

This server holds a RW Replica: It can be move to different server.
This server also has SLP configured.
Nothing else.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

T0R0M0N;2400264 wrote:
This server holds a RW Replica: It can be move to different server.
This server also has SLP configured.
Nothing else.

Cool, so no user data that needs moving?

Those two services you mention (eDir + SLPDA) are not very hard to move.

If you want a new box running to replace this one (for eDir redundancy), first build a new OES11 box and add a RW replica onto it.
Configure SLP on that new server to be a DA as well, and configure the new and old server's SLP service to sync with one an other (double check both servers en up seeing all services).
Then, regarding SLP, you can reconfigure all servers and clients to look to the new server instead of the old one.
When that's done simply remove the RW replica from the old server, remove it from eDirectory ('ndsconfig rm' on the old server's console) and power it down.

Before powering the old server down, you'd want to double check there are no applications etc that also need to be reconfigured to look at the new server (LDAP/DNS/etc).

There is also a second scenario, if you are intent on keeping the old server name and IP, to simply remove the eDir RW replica from the old server.... then remove it from eDirectory (again, 'ndsconfig rm' on the old server's console) and power the old server down.
Then (re)install with OES11 and use the old name + IP configuration. The eDir setup will also allow you to configure SLP services as needed.... and the clients etc should reregister with SLP within a couple of hours.

Before doing any of those steps it might be good to post the output of " chkconfig|grep ' on' " (run on the console of the old server) as there might be other services that are running on the server that might need to be migrated as well.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.