Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Upgrading Cluster servers that hold iPrint

Hello All,
I am upgrading my Novell Servers from 6.5 sp1 to sp7. It has gone pretty smoothly with just a few reconfiguration issues that were pretty simple to fix. I am looking to upgrade my iPrint servers next and I was hoping to get some experiences from others who have upgraded there servers and how their cluster servers using iPrint responded. Any gotcha's I need to look for or issues to look out for? I am planning to do the main iPrint server this weekend so I have time to fix any issues that pop up after the upgrade. Just wanting to get some feedback to see if there is anything I need to lookout for.
Thanks
Bob
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

shatford;1673626 wrote:
Hello All,
I am upgrading my Novell Servers from 6.5 sp1 to sp7. It has gone pretty smoothly with just a few reconfiguration issues that were pretty simple to fix. I am looking to upgrade my iPrint servers next and I was hoping to get some experiences from others who have upgraded there servers and how their cluster servers using iPrint responded. Any gotcha's I need to look for or issues to look out for? I am planning to do the main iPrint server this weekend so I have time to fix any issues that pop up after the upgrade. Just wanting to get some feedback to see if there is anything I need to lookout for.
Thanks
Bob

Hi Bob

It's been a while since I did this, but from what I can remember...make sure you back up your iprint.ini file. It will get overwritten when you patch. Also, check to see if there are any post-sp7 patches out there for iPrint. I'm pretty-sure that there are. I'm assuming you're on SP1 on the servers in your cluster right now...if so, there's some structure changes to the print manager (if I remember right), so once you load the manager on a patched server, don't try to load it back on a server that is still at SP4 or older....maybe even SP5 (I can't remember where that delineation is). Also, make SURE to back up all your print objects before you start. I remember that when I did mine, something bad happened (I cannot recall the exact details), and I spent the afternoon on the phone with Kaycee, rebuilding all my print managers, and importing xml files to make the printers right again. (I failed to back them up before I started).

Good luck
Sam

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If iPrint/NDPS is clustered, ie runs off a clustered volume, then after applying the SP you will need to manually copy the sys:ndps directory to the ndps directory on the clusterd volume resource.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Andrew,
How is that going to affect my current iPrint installation? Will my printer agents go away? Will I need to reupload all my drivers?
Thanks
Bob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'd ask that in the iPrint forum, but I don't believe it will affect anything - all you are doing is updating to new NLMs, not affecting the driver database nor eDirectory.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.