Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
MarkHofland Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Upgrading DNS/DHCP from OES2 sp1 32 bit to OES11 sp1 64 bit

Hi All,

At this moment we are running a couple of servers with OES2 sp1. One of these servers is our main server (server A) which holds the master replica and only runs DNS and DHCP. Another server is our backup server (server B), also OES2 sp1 and runs a secondary DNS and DHCP server, contains a read-write replica, and our backup software to a LTO4 tape drive which will be replaced by a LTO5 drive. Due to the fact that SLES 10 doesn't support LTO5 we decided to upgrade the backup server to SLES 11.2 / OES11.1 We can't do an inplace upgrade, so we want to completely wipe the server and just install OES11 sp1, and DNS and DHCP.
So we think below are the steps we have to follow.

- stop the DNS and DHCP services on server B
- remove the read-write replica from server B
- then remove the server B from the replica ring
- Remove all "old" objects from this server B from the tree
- Install OES11 sp1 on server B and DNS and DHCP again. (Server B will have the same name and ip address)

My question is: are those steps correct , and are there any problems regarding a primary DNS and DHCP server on OES2 sp1(server A) in combination with a secondary DNS DHCP on OES11 sp1 (server B)?

Regards,

Mark
Labels (2)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Upgrading DNS/DHCP from OES2 sp1 32 bit to OES11 sp1 64 bit

I've done a fair bit of looking through the forums and docs and have not
found anything on upgrades/migrations other than from NetWare to Linux,
which is a different story because NetWare did DNS/DHCP differently than
OES. With that said, I've only setup DNS and DHCP at home through Yast on
a regular SLES box (my home network is certainly smaller than yours, so I
do not need OES pieces). I know of a lot of customers using OES for
DNS/DHCP and most went through OES 2 and are now on OES 11, so it seems
likely that most have been where you are and are still functioning today.
Still waiting to see if I can get responses from them specifically on how
they did this and will post back results if they provide them.

Good luck.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Upgrading DNS/DHCP from OES2 sp1 32 bit to OES11 sp1 64

MarkHofland;2281911 wrote:
Hi All,

At this moment we are running a couple of servers with OES2 sp1. One of these servers is our main server (server A) which holds the master replica and only runs DNS and DHCP. Another server is our backup server (server B), also OES2 sp1 and runs a secondary DNS and DHCP server, contains a read-write replica, and our backup software to a LTO4 tape drive which will be replaced by a LTO5 drive. Due to the fact that SLES 10 doesn't support LTO5 we decided to upgrade the backup server to SLES 11.2 / OES11.1 We can't do an inplace upgrade, so we want to completely wipe the server and just install OES11 sp1, and DNS and DHCP.
So we think below are the steps we have to follow.

- stop the DNS and DHCP services on server B
- remove the read-write replica from server B
- then remove the server B from the replica ring
- Remove all "old" objects from this server B from the tree
- Install OES11 sp1 on server B and DNS and DHCP again. (Server B will have the same name and ip address)

My question is: are those steps correct , and are there any problems regarding a primary DNS and DHCP server on OES2 sp1(server A) in combination with a secondary DNS DHCP on OES11 sp1 (server B)?

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

The steps you mention seem fine to me (the red string, as they say here 🙂 ).

One thing that's always good to do, is to make a note of all current DNS and DHCP server settings (I like making screenshots of the settings of the server options).
You can also export the DHCP service configuration (watch out, it does not export the DHCP server's own settings).. but that is normally not needed, as the server object won't be deleted when removing the/a server from the eDirectory.

For the "then remove the server B from the replica ring", you can simply run "ndsconfig rm" on ServerB which will do most of the cleanup for you. Then simply remove left over eDirectory objects related to server B.

One file you might want to grab a copy of, could be the dhcp.leases file (in /var/lib/dhcp/db). It's optional and not needed per se, but copying back this file to the new server will mean dhcp services will know the client lease history (which is not written to eDir with OES2/OES11).

When configuring DNS and DHCP services on the new server, make sure to use the locator lookup option. That prevents the situation of ending up with multiple locator objects (group) for the DNS and DHCP configuration.

When the install is done, fire up the Java DNS-DHCP console & assign the existing DHCP service object server B was using to the newly installed server. Re-check if all settings are correct - don't forget to configure the DHCP server to be authoritative do a ping-check and any other options you currently have set on the existing DHCP server of Server B.

For DNS, it's more of the same. In the console assign all the zones to the new Server B DNS server and add in any specific server options you had previously.

Fire up novell-named & dhcpd servers... and you should be up and running again.

Hope that helps,
Willem
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

magic31;2281962 wrote:
...You can also export the DHCP service configuration (watch out, it does not export the DHCP server's own settings).. but that is normally not needed, as the server object won't be deleted when removing the/a server from the eDirectory....

That should have read "but that is normally not needed, as the service (DHCP) object won't be deleted when removing the/a server from the eDirectory."
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thank You Ab, for your reaction.

Regards,

Mark
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.

Hi Willem, first of all, thanks for your help and information on this subject. I have still some questions, I hope you can help me out.

What do you mean with:

but that is normally not needed, as the server object won't be deleted when removing the/a server from the eDirectory.

Especially the /a?

I'm going to remove the server B, so after the "ndsconfig rm" on the B server , I'll remove all server B objects (Volume object, SLL Certificate Objects, LDAP Group objects etc) from the tree, that's it right?

Regards,

Mark
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Is it correct if I remove the following ServerB objects from the tree before installing a new OES11 sp2 ? :

ServerB_VOLUME objects
ServerB server object
ServerB-PS object
SAS Service-ServerB object
DNS AG ServerB object
IP AG ServerB object
SSL CertificateDNS-ServerB object
SSL CertificateIP-ServerB object
LDAP Server-ServerB object
LDAP Group-ServerB object
DNS_ServerB object
Http Server-ServerB object
SNMP Group-ServerB object
UNIX Workstion-ServerB object
DHCP_ServerB object

Or do I have to keep the DNS and DHCP objects for ServerB?

Regards,

Mark
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

MarkHofland;2282093 wrote:
Is it correct if I remove the following ServerB objects from the tree before installing a new OES11 sp2 ? :

ServerB_VOLUME objects
ServerB server object
ServerB-PS object
SAS Service-ServerB object
DNS AG ServerB object
IP AG ServerB object
SSL CertificateDNS-ServerB object
SSL CertificateIP-ServerB object
LDAP Server-ServerB object
LDAP Group-ServerB object
DNS_ServerB object
Http Server-ServerB object
SNMP Group-ServerB object
UNIX Workstion-ServerB object
DHCP_ServerB object

Or do I have to keep the DNS and DHCP objects for ServerB?

Regards,

Mark

Sorry for the late reply Mark. Yes, that's fine, you don't have to keep the DNS and DHCP objects for serverB. You can recreate those easily after having installed the services for the new serverB, just make sure you have taken note of any custom settings that have been set on the DHCP and DNS server objects (looking at the settings within the DNS-DHCP Java console).

-Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

MarkHofland;2282092 wrote:

What do you mean with:

but that is normally not needed, as the server object won't be deleted when removing the/a server from the eDirectory.

Especially the /a?

With the/a a meant removing a server from the tree (any one) should not do anything with the DHCP service object. That will stay in the tree and you can simply apply it to the newly installed server's DHCP object.

MarkHofland;2282092 wrote:
I'm going to remove the server B, so after the "ndsconfig rm" on the B server , I'll remove all server B objects (Volume object, SLL Certificate Objects, LDAP Group objects etc) from the tree, that's it right?

Correct.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi

Further to what Willem has said... I'm in the process of removing some old OES2 servers. The ndsconfig rm does remove the server object gracefully from the tree, but I find myself manually having to clean up the volume, pool, SSL certificates and LDAP objects from the tree. After the server removal has processed correctly and all other servers in the tree have dropped the removed server from their "Known Servers" list, I just open iManager, select all the above mentioned objects and hit delete!

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Willem,
Yesterday we started the procedure above. While installing OES11 and the add-on's OES-DNS and OES-DHCP (also iManager and NSS), we noticed some strange behaviour. After configuring DNS and DHCP (same locator object), and startup JAVA console, the new DNS and DHCP server where not visible. Hmmm, strange. We checked and reconfigure the configuration again, and still not visible. We started ConsoleOne, and all new server objects where available plus another weird named object, named 1_6. While checking the properties-> other -> common name for this object, there where 2 common names, our new DHCP_server name and the 1_6 name (same as the object name). Now the strange thing, we started iManager on the new OES11 server and no DSN or DHCP tasks where available. We started iManager on an OES2 server (tasks available) and under DHCP, modify server, we saw our newly created server. After configuring the servers again in iManager on OES2 and restarting the daemons, rcnovell-dhcpd and rcnovell-named, we saw both the DNS, and TWO DHCP servers with the same name in the Java console. It must have something to do with the 1_6 object with two common names. Both the new, DHCP servers (should be one) are not accesible via the Java console. If we click one of the we get the hourglass. To be continued..

Regards,

Mark
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

MarkHofland;2283225 wrote:
... and the 1_6 name (same as the object name)..

To me that means eDir was/is not all it should be. As you have just finished a basic (re)setup of serverB, it'd suggest removing it from eDirectory and do a new fresh OES11 install.

Cleanup eDir objects again for serverB and make sure your eDirectory health is in good order before adding the fresh OES11 install back into the tree.

quick check commands that can be given on the serverA are:

ndsrepair -T #<-- all servers in sync timewise?
ndsrepair -E #<-- replicas should be all in sync ten to max twenty minutes after having removed serverB
ndarepair -C -Ad -A #<-- check all obituaries have been processed
ndsrepair -N #<-- check the listed servers are all valid

Additionally, check the status in iMonitor.

As your dhcp services are now down (?), how critical is this for you? You do have the option to install and configure DHCP services on serverA and place the dhcp.leases file & assign the DHCP service object on that server to at least continue service. (when doing so, don't forget to configure and set true for "authoritative" and "ping-check" options for the DHCP server on serverA)
If it's not all that much of a problem that dhcpd is not running atm, I'd say focus on a re-reinstall.

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

magic31;2283227 wrote:
To me that means eDir was/is not all it should be. As you have just finished a basic (re)setup of serverB, it'd suggest removing it from eDirectory and do a new fresh OES11 install.

Maybe that's jumping the gun somewhat (doing a full reinstall).... maybe first start by checking your eDirecotry health as it is at this moment.

The 1_x objects usually indicate issues with the directory and are often seen (where I've seen them at least) with timesync between servers is not ok and actions like renaming and moving objects aren't being processed properly.

If all other eDirecotory objects seem ok and eDir health is also generally ok, you can also try removing those invalid objects and any other existing DNS & DHCP server objects (not the group or locator) and recreate them in the DNS-DHCP Java console.

If the strange behavior you saw is just limited to these objects, the other bits are probably ok. I'd suggest to run through your eDir health, looking from all replica servers you have (not sure if it's just the two, serverA & serverB, you mentioned in your OP).

Cheers,
Willem
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.