Highlighted
glio Absent Member.
Absent Member.

User quotas display ** User Not Found **

Environment: OES2sp2, SLES10sp2, iManager2.7.2

Deleted users appear as **User not Found** [.....] on the user quota screen. Those items can neither be deleted or modified... and would disappear if I unset the user quota attribute on the volume. Anyway to remove those objects from the user quota screen?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
20 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: User quotas display ** User Not Found **

On 04/07/2013 04:16, glio wrote:

> Environment: OES2sp2, SLES10sp2, iManager2.7.2

If the above is not a typo then OES2 SP2 on SLES10 SP2 is an invalid and
unsupported combination.

Please can you post the output from "cat /etc/*release".

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Technology Transfer
Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
glio Absent Member.
Absent Member.

XXXXXXX:~ # cat /etc/*release
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (i586)
VERSION = 10
PATCHLEVEL = 3
LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-noarch:core-2.0-ia32:core-3.0-ia32"
Novell Open Enterprise Server 2.0.2 (i586)
VERSION = 2.0.2
PATCHLEVEL = 2
BUILD = FCS
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

glio wrote:

> XXXXXXX:~ # cat /etc/*release
> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (i586)
> VERSION = 10
> PATCHLEVEL = 3
> LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-noarch:core-2.0-ia32:core-3.0-ia32"
> Novell Open Enterprise Server 2.0.2 (i586)
> VERSION = 2.0.2
> PATCHLEVEL = 2
> BUILD = FCS

So "SLES10sp2" in your original post was a typo as the above shows you are
running OES2 SP2 on SLES10 SP3 which is a valid combination though now not
supported with OES2 SP3 on SLES10 SP4 the preferred option.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What do you mean by "remove those objects?" As in just not wanting to see them being reported?

-- eDirectory Rules! Peter www.DreamLAN.com
0 Likes
glio Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Actually, I'd like to know if these "** User Not Found **" thingy occupy any physical space on the hard drive. Also, is there anyway to delete them from the quota list? They keep on reappearing once I delete them using iManager.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 10:46:02 +0000, glio wrote:

> Actually, I'd like to know if these "** User Not Found **" thingy occupy
> any physical space on the hard drive. Also, is there anyway to delete
> them from the quota list? They keep on reappearing once I delete them
> using iManager.

These are files with file owners that no longer exist in eDirectory.

So if you have deleted a bunch of users from eDirectory, whilst these
users still 'own' files on the file system, this is the systems way to
inform you.

If you would assign these files a new owner (or delete the files all
together), the message will be gone.

Thanks
Hans
0 Likes
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Chances are good that these "phantom users" have files on your server, unless your user removal process includes deleting their files when the User object is removed from eDir. One way to find files that have no owners is to use NDIR (but I don't think that is included with OES/L anymore). Do you still have any NetWare boxes around?

0 Likes
glio Absent Member.
Absent Member.

peterkuo;2271404 wrote:
Chances are good that these "phantom users" have files on your server, unless your user removal process includes deleting their files when the User object is removed from eDir. One way to find files that have no owners is to use NDIR (but I don't think that is included with OES/L anymore). Do you still have any NetWare boxes around?

I don't have any NW box... BTW, there is a HEX id attached behind "** User Not Found **"... Is there anyway to search for files owned by these HEX id?

0 Likes
peterkuo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Those hex "ids" are GUIDs, which were associated with the User objects at the time of the User object creation, and the NSS volumes use GUID to "map" files and file permissions to the User objects. Off hand, I am not aware of any 'standalone' tools that will search based on GUIDs.

0 Likes
Robert Schottman
New Member.

This still happens with SLES 12 and OES with eDir 9.  It does not matter whether or not the deleted user had files that they owned that are still out there on the volume.  This is a value gets stuck in the linux extended attributes on the linux side, ie. not in eDir.  They are orphaned quotas that were setup on the user.  The value still exists in the linux extended attributes, but no user with said GUID exists in eDir any longer.  MicroFocus needs to fix their user deletion tool in iManager so that it removes any quotas that were assigned to the user on any volumes or directories. 

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Can you snip something like this

y.JPG

i.e. WITH the "Used" values? As long as there are files owned by the orphaned GUID it will be shown there. You can get a quick overview of files with unknown owners from within the NCP Volume Inventory in NORM.

0 Likes
Robert Schottman
New Member.

I have an entire list of "user not found" entries that all have ZERO in used.  I have created an SR with support.  They have duplicated the issue using a user that never had any files on the volume.  When you delete the user, any user volume quotas get orphaned.   The user volume quotas are stored in NSS on the volume.  Support is not likely to agree that this is a bug due to the fact that in cases where you restore a user from an eDir backup, you get the GUID back, and any quotas are still good.   The problem that I have is that, in our school, we delete all student users every year, and then recreate them in bulk each Fall from a CSV export from our Student Mgmt system.  So, every year I have 2,200+ orphaned quotas.   You have to click them one at a time in the iMangaer user quota lists, you cannot even set the view to, say, 200 at a time where you can use the "all select" to get them en masse.   Support is going to try to write me a script that will identify "user not found", or some such way of determining it is an orphaned quota, so that I can remove them in bulk.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Now it makes sense. It initially seemed that you weren't able to delete AT ALL, even with no files owned by the orphaned GUID. So it's "just" about bulk deleting. Yes, that's annoying, and we should really have an option to mark at least let's say 200 entries at a time. Or even better: some sort of "delete all orphaned" button. Or a "removeinvalid" switch for metamig as we had it (for trustee assignments only) in the fabulous trustee.nlm.

0 Likes
RSeifert Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

if OES2 already supports 'nssquota' command, you could clear orphaned user quotas with a simple shell script and a cronjob:‎

‎/opt/novell/nss/sbin/nssquota -U -V <Volume> -g |grep 'User Not Found'‎
will find the orphaned entries, and:‎

‎/opt/novell/nss/sbin/nssquota -U -V <Volume -c -u <Entry>‎
will clear them.‎

Best regards, Robert
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.