Highlighted
pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Users Volume / H Drive Disconnecting

Client: Windows XP
Server OES 11 SP1 (SLES 11 SP2) NSS Volumes with CIFS as well.

Windows XP fully updated with Novell 4.91 SP5 IR2 client (Same problem with earlier version of the client)

User Logins
Maps 3 Network Drives to the same server on 2 different volumes
L:\ (Data Volume with sub Directory)
H:\ (Users Volume)
G:\ (Data Volume with sub Directory)

Client works throughout the day.

The connection to the H:\ Drive is Broken / Lost. However the L:\ & G:\ are fine...no issues. I can try to browse the H-Drive but get a "Not Available" message. If I try a manual login over the top using the systray Novell Login, I cannot remap the H:\ Drive, however the other drives remap just fine. If I go to the "Connections" window using the systray and do a disconnect on the server / tree I can then manually log in and everything is fine. The same thing happens by logging off so it works as well.....

Any Ideas? NSS?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Users Volume / H Drive Disconnecting

Hi,

What variable are you using to map the home directory?

Perhaps give us that snippet from your login script?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

MAP H:=%HOME_DIRECTORY
MAP L:=\\192.168.30.8\Data\L-DRIVE
0 Likes
ataubman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Does the problem happen when the PC goes to sleep or hibernation? Or while actually working? Is it reproducable on demand? If so a lan trace will show what's going on.

Also, is OES11SP1 all patched up?

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ataubman;2293611 wrote:
Does the problem happen when the PC goes to sleep or hibernation? Or while actually working? Is it reproducable on demand? If so a lan trace will show what's going on.

Also, is OES11SP1 all patched up?

OES11SP1 Patched thru July getting ready to do the next set, however there are a few issues the updates will fix and create.

The computers are set to never sleep (monitor goes dark after 20). Hibernation is disabled. Network adapters are set to always on - no sleep. As it is one user currently (Have had a handful of others & we are phasing out XP with win7). Not necesarily reproducable on demand, yet its consistant almost daily. The user is not able to give me a good "Description" of how / what happens. I have not found a way to trigger it. I could do a lan trace but without being able to trigger it, it would be a rather large trace.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

In the Advanced Settings of the Novell Client Properties, what are the settings for "Auto Reconnect" and "Auto Reconnect Interval" ?

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
ataubman Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Typically you set the trace to run continually, with a rolling trace file size (so as new transactions get recorded old ones drop off) big enough to hold 20-30 minutes of traffic. Then when the problem happens, let it run for 5 more minutes and halt the trace.

Andrew C Taubman (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Micro Focus.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.